Chapter twenty eight

The next week past quickly and it was a beautiful spring Tuesday as June skipped down the stairs early that morning , startling her father who was leant against the kitchen counter as he drank his coffee , dressed in his jeans and grease covered shirt all ready for work .

His eyes widening at the sight of his daughter skipping into the room with a bright beam on her face , dressed in some cute pink , cotton overalls over a white tank top with flowers over it .

"Ready for work ?" She chirped .

Leaning over to wrap her arms around her fathers neck and bringing him into his hug , hiding her mischievous smirk into his neck.

Leon holding out his cup of coffee away from her and he gingerly hugged her back with his free arm still in shock from her sudden and casual affection.

She had never hugged him good morning before , it was a nice change to the usual threat of violence that was for sure .

"Yes..." he answered confused as she pulled away , his mouth parting in disbelief as he watched her patter over to the fruit bowl and eye it for a moment before picking up a shiny new red apple he had bought .

Running her finger over the skin of it with narrowed eyes as she recalled Cora's mother's bowl of sweets and chocolates. She would much prefer that.

"Why are you up so early sweetheart?" He asked her after a moment , his eyebrows still high on her forehead as he watched her take a large bite of the crispy apple in her hand .

Chewing quickly as she leaned back against the table behind her before answering.

"I'm going to hang out with Cora ." She lied easily with a soft sniffle . Looking out the window and out at the bright blue sky.

It was a lovely day for the perfect plan. Having already texted Jett the moment she had heard her father stumble down the stairs for breakfast .

He blinked at her in surprise.

"You two are still friends?" He voiced his thoughts .

It still not having sunk in that his 'I hate everyone ' daughter suddenly had a bunch of friends , a good paying job and was looking back at him with a smile full of sunshine .

He felt like he was dreaming .

Making sure to keep the smile bright on her face , mentally scowling at the bastard . She could keep a friend if she wanted to . She thought that she had been such a good one to Cora too , and Syd .

She had helped pay his rent this month even if it was at the expense of her fathers new woman.

"Yup." She simply replied keeping her vicious insults to herself.

"Gonna hang out for a bit . Is that alright with you ?" She made sure to ask him sweetly.

Taking joy from the astonished look on his ageing face .

Feeling his chest puff out proudly "yes ! Yes ! Of course honey . Go and have fun , I'll see you later !" He exclaimed .

Positively overjoyed at her sudden nice behaviour .

Things were finally looking up .

He had a beautiful new woman in his life , a beautiful daughter who seemed to be turning a new leaf and a job that was working out just fine .

He was thrilled !

June smiled back at him before throwing the apple core into the bin then leant over to kiss his cheek goodbye , waving over her shoulder as she picked up her canvas bag and skipped over to the door .