Chapter twenty six

The smell of warm cooked food greeted June as she strides confidently into the house with a grin , her eyes catching onto the small woman behind the kitchen counter who seemed to be making some type of pie filling

The smell of warm cooked food greeted June as she strides confidently into the house with a grin , her eyes catching onto the small woman behind the kitchen counter who seemed to be making some type of pie filling .

The woman looked up , startled, before her eyes widened in surprise and a hopeful smile tugged at her pale pink lips.

"Oh hello! Are you June? I've heard so much about you . I was beginning to wonder if my Cora had imagined you right up!" She exclaimed with a relieved laugh as june nodded along in amusement .

Smiling broadly at Cora's mum and letting out a small giggle.

"I am as real as can be I suppose." She said with a shrug as she wandered over to the counter looking at the large clear jar on the dinner table that was filled with all different types of sweets .

Leaning her forearms on the table as she leant down to look through the glass with amazement.

"This is brilliant !" She told her in awe making Cora's mum flush with pride.

"I've never seen one like this before . Usually people have bowls of fruit don't they?" She mused standing back up to full height .

Cora's mum , Lucy , nodded with a smile .

"They do but that's awfully boring isn't it? Who doesn't like a quick sweet after dinner? You can take a few if you want honey." She told her kindly still in slight shock that her unsocialised daughter actually had a friend .

A really pretty blonde who's smile was like sunshine nonetheless .

Practically holding back a squeal as she looked back over to her daughter who was lingering by the kitchen arch and fiddling with her jacket .

"Did you two girls have a nice time ? What did you get up to?" She asked curiously .

June's lips twitching in humour as she watched Cora's pale cheeks flush , her eyes darting over to hers quickly with a flash of fear .

Shaking her head at how childish and fearful she was , june fished a handful of sweets into her hand before looking over at Lucy with a warm smile.

"We went shopping . I've been wanting to add a bit of colour to my hair for summer and convinced Cora to help me ." She told her casually , watching as the woman's eyes lit up .

Setting down her cup , she walked a short step over to Cora and lifted up a stand of her hair with a hum.

"That's such a good idea ! I've heard that all the cool kids are doing it now ." She said enthusiastically running her fingers through her daughters hair .

"You should do it as well cora! You too could make a night of it ." She gasped excitedly at the thought of Cora having someone over for the first time ever .

Cora cleared her throat nervously and looked back over to june for help "I don't think -"

"That sounds like a great idea ! We can do each other's hair , it'll be so fun ." June cut her off happily , beaming over at Lucy who looked ready to cry .