Chapter twenty seven

The next morning came around peacefully

The next morning came around peacefully . The sun high and the birds chirping their sweet song as june laid back in the warm comforter , Cora's head tucked away soundlessly in her neck as she slept away .

She had awoken over twenty minutes ago and hadn't found the will to move her friend away or wiggle her way out of the large , comfortable bed .

It felt weird to wake up beside someone other than Jett , she had gotten used to being curled into his chest with his whole body surrounding her into his snug embrace .

He always held her tight as though he was afraid that if he let go or loosened his hold even a little , she would disappear .

Yet june never felt suffocated or trapped , she had only ever felt safe and wanted . After years of sleeping alone with no one to hold her or protect her from the things that always stumble in her way , it was a nice change . Being wanted . Being held and being able to hold another and wonder if she made them feel safe too .

Cora had no idea who she was peacefully sleeping against , her arm slung over June's stomach heavily as she hiccuped in her sleep.

Playing with a strand of Cora's now dark purple hair , she squinted her eyes at her phone in her free hand .

Smiling softly as the numerous texts from Jett that now filled her phone .

Briefly glancing down at her friend before deciding to just call him , knowing that he would prefer to hear her voice instead .

The phone only rang for about three seconds before he picked up , having been waiting for her to call .

It made her smile even wider as his rough morning voice grumbled deep in his chest , a tingle running down her spine .

"I missed you." Is the first thing he said. Not even bothering with any small talk or white lies .

He found that he didn't sleep as well without his little witch there anymore .

He felt on edge and restless as he rearranged the small pieces of wood he had chopped up in front of him . His hands twitching , needing to do something .

Exhaling softly with a small giggle , she felt her cheeks heat up at his admission . She would never get used to his gentle words .

"I was only gone for the night !" She laughed quietly, carefully , as she checked to make sure that Cora was still in dreamland . She was .

Jett only groaned long and miserably.

"Yeah , let's not do that again . I don't like you being gone for long , makes me feel itchy ." He muttered grumpily as he rubbed his dry and tired eyes with his rough fingertips .

Smirking as she rolled her eyes at his dramatics .

"Itchy ? Are you comparing me to a flea... or a tic you asshole?" She teased. Already knowing that he didn't mean it badly .