chapter Twenty two

Cora looked over at June curiously as the girl continued to huff and puff next to her , throwing her paints down onto the blanket they had spread out onto the grass

Cora looked over at June curiously as the girl continued to huff and puff next to her , throwing her paints down onto the blanket they had spread out onto the grass . Practically slamming her small canvas onto the pile making Cora fidget nervously .

Clearing her throat as she settled down on the blanket next to her . Ignoring the buzz of her phone as she realised that June was in a foul mood .

Not one smile had been given when the two had arrived at the field they had agreed to meet on .

The sun was shining brightly and it had been two days since the night of the party . Cora felt like she was missing something judging by the blank expression on June's pretty face.

"Are you okay?" She finally asked . Her eyes widening as June's head snapped over to her with a scathing glare that made the girl flinch like she had been stung by one of the wasps that was flying above them .

Gritting her teeth , June huffed loudly .

"I'm fucking fantastic . Never been better ." She snapped before grabbing her pencil and starting to roughen out a sketch on the canvas .

Ignoring the look of bewilderment from the girl next to her .

Chewing on her cheek , she nodded before trying again.

"You just look a bit troubled that's all." She commented gently not wanting to piss her off even more but still concerned over her sudden frosty behaviour .

Scoffing under her breath , June kept her eyes on her canvas , one eye twitching slightly as another buzz sounded from Cora's pocket .

"I'm always troubled Cora . It's nothing that you would understand ." She said concentrating on drawing the knife in the hand of the girl she was currently drawing .

Cora frowned at the condescending tone june had used , almost as though she was talking to a child .

Offended and more than worried , she turned her body to face her fully.

"I can't understand if you don't tell me what's upsetting you June." She told her the obvious , which only seemed to make her more angry .

Her eyes were wild as she stared back at her , laughing humourlessly.

"Nothing is upsetting me . Not everyone is as sweet and lovely as you are Cora." It was far from a compliment from the way she had spat the words 'sweet' and 'lovely' like they were something disgusting she could smell.

Mouth dropping open in shock, she spluttered "I'm not saying you have to be ! I was just concerned . You look like you want to kill someone !" She defended herself , flushing deeply and weakly looking away from the icy eyes that were digging into her skin .

She was unsettled and a little bit terrified as June continued to look at the side of her face blankly for another long moment before finally looking away .