˗ˋ 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S OVER (OR IS IT)

. . .

Pandora decided to leave her ambush until later in the week. 

Waited until Remus wasn't plagued with whatever it was that had made him so tired. 

And what that 'whatever' was, well the Rosier girl had her suspicions. But she had waited to insinuate, waited to ask anything remotely related to those suspicions. 

But now, she could attack.

He was back to his usual self. Slightly sarcastic, not being slumped against the table during classes, hands not shaking as he tried to lift a particularly heavy Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook.

Back to sitting with her in the library day after day.

"You're early." Pandora stopped by the end of the aisle, the heels the adorned her feet over the usual school shoes clicking against the flagstones. It had become almost like an alarm for Remus, who had looked up as soon as he heard them enter the library. 

"I had a free period." Remus began, wiping his nervously sweating palms on his trousers. "Professor Silverglade wanted to talk to me about my Ancient Runes essay. But it only took ten minutes." 

"So you've been in here ever since?" Pandora pulled her grey sweater a little tighter around her stomach, hand reaching down to twist at the signet ring around her finger as she sat. 

"They usually give those to the men of the family." Remus pointed out without a thought, Pandora's hand freezing on the surface of a table, an almost worried sigh trembling through her lips. "Sorry.. I didn't meant to." 

"I stole it." Pandora's expression changed in an instance. "Pried it off of my father's hand the night before he was taken away by the Ministry. I spiked his drink with sleeping potion." 

"How did you know they were coming?" The Lupin boy continued, watching as Pandora sat back in her seat and pulled one the of the books off the top of the pile right in front of her, she crossed her legs, fingers tapping over the cover before opening it.

"Guessed. Thought it was only a matter of time." Her expression only faltered slightly. "Do you know what happened to my family?" 

"Sort of." Remus shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Everyone seems to have different versions of it. The only determined ending to any of them is that you're.."

"The only one left." Pandora nodded, sitting up in her seat, elbows balancing on the table. "I'll tell you the real version. My mother was a psychopath. My father, just as much. He killed her, and a week later he got taken away. It's not too interesting. Just plain and simple."

She was lying. Remus could tell she was lying. 

But he didn't ask any questions. 

"But what doesn't seem to be so plain and simple is why were your little friends staring at me at lunch. And what were three of them doing following you when Madam Pomfrey took you to that tree?" And just like that, the hunter pounced.

The prey froze, eyes wide. Of course she had seen. 

"None of your business." She knew, but didn't say anything. Dancing around him in such a taunting manner. 

"Couldn't feel me then, could you?" Pandora asked, ignoring just how quickly he had replied. 

"What?"

"When you and your friends were talking. Your friend - Dorcas, was it? She was talking about Occlumency, and you said that you could feel when I was worming my way into your thoughts." Pandora smiled, tilting her head.

"You were listening?" The Lupin boy stared at her. "Good, then you know what Sirius said about you - you're crazy."

"The best people always are. I'm not so snappy anymore, am I?" Pandora's smile had disappeared, a glare settling on her features. 

"You can't give us even a little bit of privacy?"

"Then you should have had the conversation in a place where they wouldn't so blatantly stare at me. Or somewhere where my butterflies can't reach. Not that it would matter, really." Pandora's fingers were tapping a pattern on her chin, nails pointed and sharp.

Remus stared at her. "What do you mean?" He finally asked, jaw tightening. 

"Even when you're out of it from your little transformations, you shouldn't let your guard down Wolfy." Pandora stood up, standing in front of Remus, a hand reaching and tugging his head backwards.

Her free hand clutched at his chin, finger nails trailing down his jaw, over his adam's apple and to the collar of his shirt. She fiddled with something for a moment, before her hands retreated and in her palm lay a butterfly.

"You bugged me?" The pun wasn't intentional, and Remus stood up from his chair with a screech of wood against the floor. "I've been patient, I've been listening to Dumbledore, but this is just too much." 

"What?" Pandora's amused smirk dropped instantly, watching as Remus gathered up his stuff, books cradled between his elbow and torso. "No - no you can't leave. What are you doing? Stop." 

She watched as Remus picked up his robes, tucking them under his arm and beginning away from the table. The Rosier girl stood frozen for a moment, before swallowing and starting after him. "Move idiot." She hissed, pushing a second year out of her way and in her anger sent him crashing against one of the bookcases.

Madam Pince was glaring at them as Pandora continued after Remus, pushing open the door out into the corridor. "Remus Lupin get back here!" She yelled after him, confusion mixed with anger sitting on her face, starting to follow him down the hallway but planting her feet. 

"Don't you dare!" Pandora shouted, fiery emotion clear in her tone, eyes wide and wild. But Remus continued walking without looking back, turning around a corner. 

"What are you looking at?" The girl shouted at passing fourth years, a frustrated yell leaving her lips as, in a fit of rage, she sent a nearby statue flying into a wall, crumbling instantly. "I'll fix that." She yelled, stalking back into the library to collect her things.

She wouldn't.