˗ˋ 71

CHAPTER SEVENTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHOPPING 
PLANS ARE MADE

. . .

Three days after they arrived at the Potters, it snowed.

It marked the official start of their holidays too, the two weeks beginning then with the actual events of Christmas. Euphemia and Fleamont informed them that they had just missed a small spattering before the term ended but quickly knew that really, they hadn't missed anything; Hogwarts and the land surrounding had been covered in a blanket of ice for the best part of the month, broken up by days of heavy rain and frost. 

Stories of the horse-drawn carriages that crossed the frozen lake were sprinkled across dinner (that time it was pumpkin and cornish pasties with chips - a delicacy that Peter and James seemed to enjoy very much), as well as a few mentions of another things - the numerous Christmas decorations, the last Hogsmeade visit of the year, the events of Slughorn's party.

That had been a slightly awkward ask from Fleamont. A bout of silence followed before James launched into a story of how he almost knocked over the decorative champagne tower and Peter chimed in saying he ate far too many mince pies and Sirius avoided the flickering gazes of Pandora and Remus.

Remus had knocked on her door that night and told her about the snow. He had added a couple more logs to the blazing fire and layered another jumper over the pyjamas she was already wearing and opened up the bay windows. The garden attached to the back of the house was enveloped in black, but the small light on the end of his extended wand and the glow of the lights inside of the house let them see a few feet out and they sat together with their legs hanging over the edge of the window, thick woolly socks catching the thick snowflakes that fell. 

They had porridge with rhubarb and ginger jam for breakfast the next morning, cups full of sugary tea as they watched the world outside grow even more covered in snow. It was too much for them to enjoy - too cold and heavy for them to go out it - yet watching from the inside made the fire in the hearth seem cosier, their hands wrapped around mugs. 

"It seems," Euphemia broke their concentration of watching a deer - which had garnered quite the attention from a laughing Sirius once appearing - emerge out the sheltered forest edge, "that you have eaten us out of house and home."

"Now you know how the house-elves feel every year." Remus hummed, humourously. 

"What I would do for a house-elf." Mrs Potter said.

"If you get one like Kreacher you wouldn't be so grateful." Sirius commented. "But I suppose they can be useful, given the right circumstances."

"Like that month of you not getting hungry until the middle of the night." James pointed out, a hum of agreement echoing through the group. "We got so many detentions then... and I drank too much hot chocolate." 

"Couldn't look at one for another month after that." Peter added. "Then March came and I was fine."

"'Course you were, Pete." James shook his head. "What are you planning to do, Mum? We can't  have eaten that much," he paused, watching as the expression of disbelief cover Euphemia's face for a brief moment, "...right?"

"Wrong." Euphemia informed them. "I thought myself prepared, even with our extra guest." She gestured to Pandora who froze, in the middle of adding another spoonful of jam onto her porridge and had only been halfway-listening to the conversation. 

"This is delicious, Mrs Potter." She quickly added the compliment, watching as Euphemia waved her away.

"Don't you worry about it, Pandora." She assured her. "It's got nothing to do with you and absolutely everything to do with the fact that these four never seem to stop growing. Comes with the territory, I suppose."

"Are you gonna ask Dad to take the car out?" James asked. "Pandora - pass us that." He added, smile on his face as he leaned forward to look past Remus (he seemed to refuse to let anyone else take up that place for the time being) and point out the jam. Pandora did just that, even managing to return the smile. The Lupin between them felt the swell of happiness all the way down into his fingertips.

"No, no, your father is busy in his office." It was true - Fleamont had hardly even emerged since the night before, mind awake through the night and entirely preoccupied with the latest venture he had come up with. "I can walk into town, it won't be far." Euphemia said.

"Come on - there's no way." Sirius sat up, arm reaching out towards the window. "Have you seen the weather? It'll be too deep and icy. Just Apparate." 

"I would, should there be somewhere for me to Apparate to." Euphemia replied. "But Godric's Hollow seems to become nothing but a tourist attraction during the holidays - and the snow will bring them out in hoards. I hardly think any alley would be private enough to Apparate too. I am sure I would be caught." 

"Then... summon the food?" Peter suggested, but his expression knew it was a dismal thought; it was too complicated to summon something like that and was the one exception to the law of Accio that truly let down the Wizarding nation. And besides, Peter had tried it several times and failed. "Or walk... that could work." 

"It's my only option, I'm afraid." Euphemia nodded. "It is possible to use magic to clear the way into town, but when I get there I can't use it, so I suppose I'll be fine." 

"I could come with." The only other female voice in the kitchen chimed in before anyone else could. Gazes flickered towards her, a feeling she was more than used to by now. "It would... it would be easier for me to help clear the way." Pandora added, her gaze moving over Sirius's shoulder to the visible bench outside of the window. There, the others found a single butterfly hovering  over the space, which seemed to be instantly removed of snow.

"Well, can't say I can argue with that." James began scraping the remains of his porridge out. "I'd offer, but I think I should stay in case Dad messes up. There's been explosions before." He informed Pandora directly who nodded, looking curious but understanding. 

"I'll come with you." Remus spoke up. "Pandora and Mrs Potter, I mean. I think Godric's Hollow at Christmas would be nice and besides, I think it would be better to have two in case someone fell." 

"Good thinking." Euphemia looked pleased at the organising. "Finish your breakfasts first, then make sure to wrap up tight. Pandora - I have some boots and a coat you can borrow if you don't have any."

"I think we could find some hats and scarves and stuff." Sirius added, in a mumble.

But it was audible, and Remus smiled.