˗ˋ 11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH HE STOPS HER

. . .

Whatever response Pandora had expected to get off of Amelia - and really, that could have been anything -  she didn't expect the one she had got.

Sure, Pandora had been taunting her, calling her naive and telling her that she had no idea what she was going on about, but the Rosier girl was right. Amelia had waited a week to deal with the situation, which was never the right thing to do especially with such a public affair.

And the way that she had gone about trying to handle it was completely wrong. It should've been handled in private, and instead it was handled in the middle of breakfast, were everyone could see.

Pandora wasn't helping herself really, but she didn't even react when Amelia reached out and slapped her, head twisting to the side from impact as the sound of the action echoed around the hall. 

"Wow I didn't think you would actually do it." Pandora, despite the exclamation at the beginning of the sentence, held none of that feeling in her tone as her head twisted back to face Amelia, who was staring at her as if she was some sort of extra terrestrial being. "Merlin-" The Rosier girl was practically laughing as the corners of her lips turned upwards. "You pack a good punch, as they like to say. Can't say it rivals the other times I've been hit but you've got a good starting point."

People had stopped eating their breakfast, gazes focused on the interaction. "I- but- what?" Amelia seemed to be in a state of shock, and hurriedly backed away as Pandora took a carefully a angled step towards her, legs crossing as she did so. 

"Now. You still have no idea what you're doing, do you?" Pandora's eyes seemed to have turned a darker shade of blue, and as she carefully moved a strand of hair that had fallen into her eyes, the first full cloud of butterflies appeared - a stray one having floated around since the slap.

It was a few moments before that a rather weary-looking but laughing Remus Lupin had entered the hall, Sirius recieving his first talking-to of the day from the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher - who he was undoubtedly and completely unabashedly flirting with to try get out of a detention.

"Hey Lupin - might want to deal with your loopy little project." James seemed rather proud of the way he had conveyed the information as he looked over to the scene by the Slytherin table. "You know what they say about those damn butterflies so hard to-"

He was cut off by the sound of the slap, echoing so far across the hall that it reached the group. "Maybe you should go." Peter looked nervous, Sirius looking proud of himself as he sauntered in to stand beside his friends.

"Well boys, got myself out of another one. That technique always works, have absolutely no idea why." He smirked, pulling a hand through his hair but having to rather hurriedly take Remus's bag as he pulled the strap off of his shoulder and pushed it into his hands. 

"Not a fan of the flirting with teachers?" He looked puzzled, joining James and Peter as they sat down in seats facing the ordeal. "What's with the fruitcase this time?" Sirius asked.

"Well that's Amelia, the older sister of the girl that Pandora broke and stole that letter opener from." Peter pointed out. "She's usually quite nice, but I heard from Derrick that she's been planning on confronting her for a few days now."

"And now she finally grew a pair and did it. But then resorted to physical violence." James continued the explanation. "Which I personally think was a rather poor idea because I'm sure we'll be seeing her hanging within the bewitched ceiling if those butterflies have anything to do with it."

"Oh goodie, a free show." Sirius reached over the table and took a couple slices of toasts, spreading various condiments over them before tucking it, watching as Remus rushed down the aisle between the Hufflepuff and Slytherin table.

He was halfway there when he heard pained groans appearing from the scene, and pushing past others, he emerged when the crowd opened up, and Pandora was stood above Amelia, who was crouching on the floor.

"It's so itchy - oh Merlin it burns - stop it!" Amelia's nails raked up and down her arms and Remus looked between them, eyes settling on Pandora. 

A red mark had formed on her cheek, yet nothing showed in her eyes and expression, jaw set as she stared unblinkingly down at Amelia. A cloud of butterflies fluttered between her eyeline and the girl on the floor, almost as if they were all connected in someway.

It took Remus a matter of moments to figure out how, and swatting several butterflies out of the way and in a swift movement, had clamped his hand over her eyes. Amelia stopped scratching, eyes wide as she looked down at the reddening marks on her arm.

"What are you doing?" Pandora hissed, struggling to pull his hand away and he could feel her eyelashes fluttering. "Remus Lupin! Let me go!" 

"Count to three." Remus replied, wincing as her foot collided with his calf. "Come on, Pandora." He pushed. "Count to three." 

Rather reluctantly, the girl did, and Remus could hear her doing so under her breath. And when he felt her physically relax, he moved his hand away. 

It wasn't a surprise to them to see Dumbledore stood in front of them, instructing them to make their way up to his office.