˗ˋ 37

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH PANDORA GOES

. . .

Despite all her best efforts, Pandora was yet to see what exactly was so magical about Halloween. Not even when she was stood in the middle of the Gryffindor All Hallow's Eve party, which was joined with the Quidditch celebration party that could've been held the night before.

She was surrounded by people in costume, from animals, to muggle characters in these 'movies'. Some where magical creatures, like Mummies or Vampires or even.. a Werewolf.

"That doesn't make sense." Pandora tapped her nails on the surface of the table she was sat on, gaze following the boy who was covered in this odd draping of grey furry fabric. 

"What doesn't?" Remus was hovering nearby, now wearing a pair of pointy ears that looked very similar to the ones that the Gryffindor party-goer was wearing. "You don't have to look at me like that - I know they're stupid."

He had been handed them by Sirius as soon as he walked through the portrait hole, after he had walked all the way up  to the Gryffindor common room entrance from the Slytherin one. 

It had been an interesting walk, his eyes going wide when he first saw the change in Pandora's appearance. She might not have dressed up, but she looked a little more ready to actually go to a party than he had expected her to. In all honesty, Remus had been worried that she would hardly change from her usual appearance and wear something akin to her outfit to the Quidditch match - which was a little too formal and monotone.

But the purple was pretty, made her seem a little warmer. Of course he hadn't actually said it out of fear that she wasn't actually wearing the purple because she liked it but because she was forcing herself to be more casual, but he had forgotten that no secrets could be kept from Pandora; she had read his mind anyway and seemed to like what he had said, because she flashed a small smile in his direction as his mind drifted and continued by his side.

They had walked into the Gryffindor Common Room only to be faced by the stares of many, all of them wondering what the hell a Slytherin - and a crazy one at that - was doing there. Sirius and James had instantly begun mutter, whispered conversations filled the silence, and it was only when Pandora rolled her eyes, waved her hands and butterflies erupted from her fingertips, spreading through the room and elevating the many decorations to another level - including a massive disco-ball hanging above them - did they looked away and it was just fine.

Of course, then he had been given the ears and everything went a little lopsided - nothing major, it just seemed that she really seemed to hate them. 

Pandora didn't change her expression, instead just averting her eyes back to the man in the werewolf costume. "It's strange. People will dress up as things that they make fun of. How does that make Halloween something to celebrate?" She asked, turning back towards him, tilting her head when she saw that he was also looking at the werewolf. 

"I.. don't know." He swallowed. But he did know that it happened every year, and every year he would feel so sick to his stomach about it. They wandered around like that for one night, yet when it came to the lesson in third year when they learnt about them, the comments he had heard whilst sat squished between James and Sirius were awful. 

"Would you like him to change?" Pandora smiled up at him, a slightly sinister smile which seemed a little too serious. Remus stared down at her, before something clicked in his mind and he began shaking his head. "I can make him change if you'd like me to."

"No - Pandora don't." Remus choked a little on his butterbeer, handing her a bottle after opening it. "Drink this and calm down. It's Butterbeer." He said, and Pandora took it, having a sip. "And enjoy yourself - you're here to have fun."

"Right. I know." Pandora nodded, her nails tapping her nails on the side of the glass. This was exactly why she hadn't come - she wasn'tt exactly well versed in how to have fun, and quite frankly the only person who ever dared to speak to her - not only there at the party but also the entire school - happened to be a lot more social than her and couldn't afford to ignore his friends at the expense of just one person.

And so, Pandora set her jaw and took a step away, and by the time Remus looked back to her, he was rather shocked - or more terrified - to find that she was gone.