˗ˋ 32

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH INVITATIONS
ARE HANDED OUT.. OR 
CLAIMED

. . .

Remus couldn't shake the story that Pandora had told him at breakfast besides a rather large decorative pumpkin, and it followed him through day. She seemed yet to notice it, but there was a reason that little Laurie was gone by the time she woke up.

Perhaps Dysnomia was attempting to teach her daughter a lesson. Hearing about the Curse was enough, because Remus knew what that really meant and if the woman wasn't known to be dead then perhaps he would be contacting the head of the Department of Aurors - but finding out that she had killed a little girl to punish her only daughter for disobeying the simple order of remaining at a seat whilst she answered the door for Muggle kids trick or treating was a little more than that.

It haunted him, that a woman could do that to such a little girl, and it still played on his mind as he made his way to Transfiguration class that afternoon, walking alongside Sirius, James and Peter, all of whom had decided that it was a worthwhile case to continue it after OWLs. 

Pandora was already in there when they arrived, textbook placed upon the desk, alligned with the perfectly flat piece of parchment, quill and golden-stoppered bottle of ink. She wasn't sat still though, as she usually was observed - no, she was still sat with her back straight, but in her lace-gloved hands was a dark green, lace-edged polishing cloth, and in her hands a shining knife.

"Don't worry." Remus mumbled, eyes raking over the handle's delicate, intricate handle, walking alongside James to their seats at the front (Professor McGonagall happened to be the only teacher they truly respected, and thus would joke with her but behave as well). "It's only the letter opener."

"The one she stole from a... third year?" Sirius' eyebrows rose as he took his seat, slumping down against the back and dumping his bag. "I thought that broke when she dropped it. Purposefully." 

"Second year, actually." Remus replied as Professor McGonagall entered, leading in several other students as they took their seats. "And she fixed it. Decided that she liked it too much."

"Oh - just like she did with you?" Jamess asked woith an eyebrow raised from beside him, unable to dodge as Remus sent a punch his way.

"Mr Lupin." McGonagall's voice broke through their laughter, and the classroom fell silent. "Good afternoon, class, I trust you all remembered your previous work on Non-Verbal magic? If not, then I assure you that all hope is not lost. Please turn to page 57 in your books and resume your reading. If you don't have a book then please share with the person beside you. It's unfortunate that we may not summon them from our dorms, but after a certain accident in the Entrance Hall last week, that has been prohibited. Those of you who know Miss Alward will be glad to know that she only gained a minor concussion from.. falling down the marble staircase after a book collided with her head."

Silence fell, nobody really dared to interrupt Minerva McGonagall once she deemed it reading time, and Remus turned his attention to his book as James and Sirius tried to have a whispered conversation on how they planned to dye several Slytherins' uniform pink. 

"Moony." Remus' head snapped towards his friends, wondering just who had spoke. But Peter wasn't looking his way, and James was muttering to Sirius about something. "Moony?" The word repeated once more, in a more sing-song, feminine tone and instead, his head turned towards the back of the classroom.

Pandora was staring at him, the letter-opener pointing directly at him. Of course it was her. She was the only other person who called him Moony after hearing his friends say it. He swallowed, wondering if he could speak to her without saying anything - because otherwise it would be incredibly weird. 

"Of course you can. Otherwise this wouldn't at all be beneficial and the entire point of Occlumency would be wasted." Pandora replied, rolling her eyes as Remus turned back to his book. "I have a question. Why do you like Halloween so much."

He didn't particularly. When he was a child they ended up being a nightmare, and the only good thing about it these days was that James and Sirius liked it, and the Gryffindor party was always at least a little fun.

"You didn't mention a party." Ah fuck, he had forgotten that she could hear what he was thinking. "I'll see what I have in my wardrobe. Am I supposed to dress up?"

That seemed exactly like something that Pandora would do - invite herself to a Gryffindor party. "How about." He really hoped it was just in his head. "You come to tomorrow's Quidditch match instead. It's Gryffindor versus Slytherin, and the party is Halloween and possibly a celebration one as well. If we win, that is."

"Fine. But I don't like crowds." Pandora replied.

"That's fine. You can stick with me and-

"Mr Lupin." Professor McGonagall's voice broke through his thoughts. "You have been staring into space for the past three minute and forty-seven seconds. Would you care to explain why that is? Or are you already able to tell us the first sentence on page 64, which is the end of the chapter?"

"Sorry Professor." Remus swallowed, before directing his attention back to his book.

"Thanks Moony." The voice appeared in his head again, the tone almost taunting. "I'll get to enjoy the match now."