˗ˋ 68

CHAPTER SIXTY EIGHT

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH PANDORA 
SETTLES IN

. . .

Euphemia had insisted on helping Pandora settle in when they finally arrived at the Potter home - which, in Pandora's eyes, was at the very least an ex-stately home or manor - and after marvelling at it's Christmastime grandeur they had been ushered in and provided with rather magical hot chocolates, stood around the hearth in the kitchen to warm themselves as they drunk it and then, upon Peter asking if they were staying in the same room as usual, Mrs Potter had launched into explanations of the sleeping arrangements.

Pandora was to have one of the guest rooms, with the room on her right the usual room that the boys took when they stayed and then, on the right of that one was James's room. That way, the five teens staying would be contained to somewhat the same quarters (all three rooms were located in the technical west wing of the house) and should there be any of their typical nonsense of room swapping and midnight parties, neither Fleamont, Euphemia or any of the other adults that would be there over the course of the holidays would be bothered by it, as they were sleeping in east wing. 

After this not-so-brief explanation and Remus had wiped off a shadow of a chocolate spill on the corner of Pandora's lips with his sleeve, Euphemia had jumped to action and the two women made their way up to the room with her trunk floating behind them, carried by a mixture of actual magic and the certain innate magic that belonged to the guest. 

"I think you might be used to things a little more... impressive, than all this." Euphemia waved her arm in front of her as she revealed the guest room that Pandora had been given for the visit. 

"I don't believe so." Pandora, despite her words being almost harsh, had a smile on her face as she admired the decor. It was nowhere near her usual tastes, but she was coming to appreciate the fact that she wasn't as keen on the sleek monotonous taste that seemed to run in the blood of any of those belonging to a similar house to her. "It's nice." She added, still looking around.

It seemed altogether somwhere between autumnal and spring-like, patterns of flowers and lace edgings and framed paintings of scenary. There was a fireplace in there too, ready to be lit that very evening, and on the ledge above it there was a clock, a jar of dried flowers and a small set up of books. That motif seemed to carry out through the rest of the room and it altogether seemed quite homely. 

"Thank you." Mrs Potter watched, a little uncertain, as the trunk came to settle down by the wardrobe in the corner. Without being touched, the top opened and it began to unpack, dark toned clothes floating out and onto hangers, folded neatly in drawers, all whilst Pandora and Euphemia watched. "I'll leave you to settle in. Just let me know if you need anything, I'll most likely be in the kitchen." 

Her hand shook Pandora's shoulder for a moment, her palm warm and fingers laden with rings  of varying decoration and sizes before turning and leaving the room, pulling the door not to a close, but very near to it, as she did so. And with that, the girl was left alone in a home she stuck out in like a sore thumb. 

She set out exploring the room more, opening the drawers carefully so as to not make a noise, allowed her fingers to run over the spines of the books and make out the titles on them and fininshed her unpacking. The spell seemingly only extended to her clothing and she carefully removed the few other personal items she had brought with her.