˗ˋ 57

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH REMUS WAITS

. . .

Remus was by no means a party person. He liked to - and could - drink like nobody's business, and when he did get a little drunk everything did seem funner and he did tend to end up belting out the lyrics of muggle songs if he got that far gone... but Horace Slughorn's 'Slug Club' Christmas parties were absolutely nothing like that. They were elegant, backed in classical music and required a dress code.

Which was why James had worked tirelessly and managed to get all four of them brand new dress-robes. Peter had complained that he didn't think he would ever wearing them again - he was going as both James and Sirius's plus ones, seeing as the Potter couldn't quite convince Lily considering she was already invited - to which James argued they would be attending his and Lily's wedding in them. To which all of them had laughed.

James was deadly serious.

But he had gotten them the dress robes either way and forced them into promising they wouldn't grow, and Remus had accepted Pandora's invitation to be his plus one, and on the night before they all made their way home for the holidays, he found himself stood at the top of the stairs that opened up on the sixth floor, waiting for her to join him. 

He couldn't help but wonder what she had decided to wear. Slughorn's party was considered a little bit more of a formal event than anything else - and considering what she wore to Halloween - he could only imagine what she had hidden away in the dungeons of the castle. Most likely something black and sleek, nothing like the dress Lily had chosen, or the one he saw that Hufflepuff - what was her name... Sophie - wear as she disappeared down the corridor with her best friend. He couldn't imagine her in something colorful, not something that created the illusion of anything other than complete elegance.

And when he finally saw her, he couldn't believe he had settled for something so simple. And he hadn't imagined feeling his heart beat a little harder in his chest - because her dress was red.

Not the bright scarlet red of Gryffindor, no, that was impossible to hope for, but instead a deep burgundy. It was made entirely of velvet, the neckline plunging and layered, and the bodice tight against her body in some form of corset. Her hair was half-pinned up, makeup just as dark as usual and lace gloves in a matching red pulled up her arms. Her collarbones seemed to twinkle in the light, but was missing something. 

Which was where Remus stepped in. It was times like this where the ownership of the Marauders' Map and the knowledge of many passages in and out of Hogwarts came in. Because in the pockets of his robes was a small black box, and as Pandora came to step in front of him, he pulled it out.

"What is it?" She asked, unable to return to her usual focus on politeness and etiquette and greet him first, instead letting herself take in the pure warmth in his eyes. She was confused by it, just as she was confused by the box in his hands.

"I figured flowers wouldn't be appropriate." Remus shrugged. "But I do hope that I know you well enough to gift you something else." He was lucky - he knew he had been when he saw it initially - but considering her chosen out for the event, even more so. Because it went perfectly. 

Pandora's eyes were wide with confusion when she stared down at the thin gold chain, the gem attached a heart-shaped garnet set in a charm of gold. She didn't say anything for a moment, rendered speechless. "...Why?" She asked.

Remus had felt his heartbreak several times since becoming friends with Pandora. And this was another moment. She didn't even think she could thank him until she knew why he had gotten it for her. Did it come with a clause attached? Did he expect it back at some point? It was evident enough that she hadn't gotten many gifts in her lifetime.

"Because you asked me here as your date." Remus replied. "So I'm going to treat it a little like one. Turn around." He ordered, and Pandora didn't question it as she turned. He carefully undid the clasp and attached it around her neck. She spun back around to face him, not caring how close they were still stood - something she usually would hate about. Her gaze flickered up to him for a moment, gloved fingers running across the small charm. "You look pretty." He added, quietly.

"Thank you." She whispered, head still bowed to stare down at it. She looked up and pressed a kiss to his cheek, before inhaling sharply and looking back up at him. "Well, you said you're here as my date but you don't seem to know how to escort a lady properly."

"Don't I?" Remus rose an eyebrow, taking a step back and offering his arm. He saw a glimmer of aprehension in her eyes before stepping forward and slotting her arm into his. "Let's go, shall we?" 

She nodded, and so they began to make their way down the hallway towards the Slug Club party. Arm in arm, and smiling so shyly.