˗ˋ 59

CHAPTER FIFTY NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH IT ALL BREAKS DOWN

. . .

Pandora's hand sat comfortably within Remus's, something she hadn't noticed before then. He had grabbed her hand plenty of times to lead her places, but it hadn't been until recently that Pandora actually began to think about it in a way that wasn't her wanting to shake him off and sterilize her hand and constantly wear gloves. 

Actually... that rule applied to when absolutely anyone else touched her. With Remus it seemed like that was never the case, not from the very first time she walked into the Great Hall and saw something pretty. 

But all the same, the Rosier didn't quite understand the concept of someone being nice to her just yet, and when Remus finally brought them both to a stop around the corner from where Slughorn had been bothering them, she pulled her gloved hand away and instead used it to straighten out the skirts of her dress. 

"You didn't have to do that." She replied, lips pursing as she stared up at him. 

"Yes I did." Remus replied, shaking his head. "You looked like a fish out of water." He told her, gaze slipping away from her face and towards the Potions master, who was now talking to the vampite guests he had invited.

"Pardon?" Pandora followed his gaze before snapping back to him. 

"Uncomfortable; floundering..." Remus hesitated. "Choking." 

"I'm perfectly capable of holding a conversation." Pandora retorted. And it was true. That was what her mother had trained her to do. Being able to converse with any single person was a skill important for someone of their class. It was just basic etiquette.

Remus rose an eyebrow. "With Slughorn?" He asked. 

"Yes."

"Whatever you say. You could just thank me, you know?" Remus didn't seem to like the  little dollops of odd confidence that appeared whenever he took a sip of alcohol, and he knew that the glass half-full in his hands would be the last of that evening. Because he wasn't used to speaking to Pandora like that, and she was no more used to it than he was. And if Remus knew anything about being friends with her, it was that new things - like attitudes or people - had to be introduced gradually.

Which was why he had been so initially cautious about inviting her to Christmas, and to the common room those several times. He was beginning in private, and working up into making the appearances with his friends public. But ultimately, he needed time. And alcohol didn't give him control of that.

"Thank you? For being so rude as to drag us out of a conversation?" Pandora shuddered. "No, I shall not thank you." She replied, and with that she stepped away, with the poise of someone walking away from a topic as basic and non-committal as the weather. Remus was lucky that his alcohol-infused self hadn't pointed out that by walking away, she was doing the exact same thing. 

Instead he turned back to his friends as Pandora stalked away, her gaze flitting over the crowds of celebrating people before finding a small, dark corner where she could momentarily become a recluse. It was by one of the ajar door out onto the balcony as well, so she could manage to get some air.