˗ˋ 35

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH PANDORA SEEMS
A LITTLE MORE FREE

. . .

Remus knew that Quidditch could be brutal and tough - and that was only for the players, those in the stands felt an almost overwhelming sense of anticipation amongst the tension, cheers from either sides as soon as Slytherin or Gryffindor scored.

James had warned his friends that it was going to be vicious match. Playing Slytherin always was, but something about them playing Gryffindor made them seem almost a little more bloodthirsty. 

And when the Slytherins were out for blood, the game was even more dirty than usual. The first match of the year and they were already playing dirty; slamming into the sides of players, sending bludgers into heads, and even going so far as to attempting and achieving to send the Gryffindor Keeper back into the hoop he was attempting to defend. 

And right beside Remus was Pandora, who hadn't taken off the scarlet and gold coloured scarf, barely even reacting during the beginning of the match, as she saw the Chaser be sandwiched between their opposition, but slowly letting the excitement of watching the game flood over her expression and clapping when she watched James score, or the Gryffindor Seeker come this close to the Snitch before falling from his broom and into the bright green lawn below.

Remus was beginning more and more aware of what she was doing, how she would stand up on her tiptoes to see what a player was doing and hold onto his elbow for support. He came to realise that his friends, whether that be Lily, Sirius, Peter or any of the other girls, weren't glaring daggers at her anymore (although that did seem more like Sirius's forte), and had become a little more accustomed to her presence. 

Until they saw a stray golden butterfly which was produced out of nowhere - or the tips of Pandora's fingertips as she clapped, who barely even noticed that she was doing so. 

But as soon as she saw the Gryffindor Seeker's first close around the snitch and celebrations began, there was a change in that attitude. As soon as the attention could focus on the snake amongst the lions again, and Pandora was almost like a deer in the headlights, seeing the eyes of many focus on her again completely by accident throughout their celebrations.

"Thank you for the invitation, Lupin." Pandora composed herself as she turned towards Remus, aware of the glare of Sirius Black behind his best friends. "But I think I'll be leaving now before I get crushed by rabid animals.. or Gryffindors as you like to call them."

"Pandora-" Remus stepped forward as she took a step back and made her way towards the gap in the stands and onto the rickety wooden stairs. He let out a sigh, looking back towards his friends. "If you manage to find James and he isn't crying or something.. tell him I'll just be a minute."

Before Sirius could protest to it, Remus was hurrying after Pandora, eyes on the back of her head as she made her way down, eyes widening just slightly as she saw her pull the Gryffindor scarf from her neck and discard it on the stairs. 

"Hey!" Remus watched her head tilt just a little back to look at him, before continuing down the stairs. "Pandora - just keep the scarf, okay?" He picked it up from the floor as Pandora made her way out of the stands and out onto the grass surrounding, already onto the end of the path up to the school.

"I'm in Slytherin, Remus." Pandora came to a stop, knowing quickly that she wouldn't be able to throw him off even if she lead him right up to the top of the Astronomy tower. "I got enough looks wearing it at the match, if I took it anywhere near the Slytherin common room I would be hated even more than I already am."

"They don't hate you, Pandora." Remus was lying. He knew he shouldn't - but he couldn't just outright say that she was right. "Keep the scarf." He pushed it into her hands. "I know you had a good time, so just keep it, okay?"

"Fine." Pandora stared down at it in her hands, before looking up to meet his eyes. "And I would like to apologise to Sirius for even showing up there. We don't share the best memories."

Remus blinked. Something must have happened, because Pandora didn't just apologise for nothing. And certainly not to anyone but him. "Pandora, listen. I don't care whether nobody else wanted you there - because I did. Like I want you to be at the Halloween party tomorrow." 

"Halloween party?" Pandora repeated, speaking slowly as if she was tasting the words in her mouth. "The Gryffindor Halloween party? You want me to come to the Gryffindor Halloween party?"

"Yes. Be my guest." Remus nodded. He didn't know what had gotten into him and why he was so desperate on trying this. "Come on. You tried going to the Quidditch match today, so why not try go to the party tomorrow as well? Please?" 

Pandora looked up at him, unable to quite figure out what her reply was going to be. She tilted her head, a strand of hair falling. Remus didn't know what exactly caused him to do it, but before she could replace it, his hand was darting out and tucking it behind her ear once more.

"You're so lucky that you're pretty." Pandora actually smiled then, before moving his hand away and turning on her heel, making her way back up to the castle.

Like being pulled out of the Black Lake on a summers day, Remus emerged from the conversation to the sound of cheering from the crowds flooding onto the pitch to celebrate the Gryffindors' win. And feeling at least the slightest part victorius, Remus went to join them.