Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 42. The Man

- 42 -

I allow myself to enjoy Ares' hug for five seconds.

Although I know I can't expect him to change overnight, he should at least try a little harder. Telling me that he would fight for me, starting from zero, yes, it was nice. However, ignoring me for a whole week? Bad move. It just seemed like he had trouble using logic or maybe he's never had to use it with girls.

Experience...

Maybe Ares has never had to make an effort in any way with women, one look from those beautiful eyes, and that sexy smile he has, is more than enough to get any girl. I know, including myself, but I'm trying to get out of that pile.

Ignoring the protests of my heart, going against my stupid hormones that I know are rejoicing in his nearness, I step back, pushing him away from me. When my gaze meets his, I can see the confusion swimming in them. This is so hard.

I clear my throat.

"What are you doing here?"

He furrows his brows at the icy tone of my voice.

"I came to see you."

I smile at him.

"Well, you saw me, I gotta go," I turn on my heels and start walking back to my friends.

Ares grabs my arm, turning me towards him again.

"Hey, wait."

"Yes?"

His eyes inspect my face, as if he were analyzing every detail.

"You're mad at me."

"No."

"Yes, you are," he gives me that crooked smile I like so much. "You look cute when you're angry."

I stop breathing for a second. What am I supposed to say to that?

Be strong, Raquel. Think about that time you decided to give up chocolate because it caused you so much acne; it was hard, but you did it.

Ares is chocolate.

You don't want acne.

But it is so delicious.

Acne hurts!

Not knowing what to say, I give him another simple smile.

"I'm sorry, witch, it was quite a week..." his smile fades, "quite a complicated one."

His playful countenance disappears and is replaced by sadness that he struggles to hide. I want to ask him if something happened, but I have a feeling he won't tell me.

"It's okay, you don't owe me any explanations, we're just friends after all."

The moment my words come out of my mouth, and I see the impact they have on him, I regret them. I hurt him, and that was not my purpose, I just wanted to make a joke to calm the tension. Ares licks his lips as if trying to overlook what I just said.

"Well, actually, I came looking for you, I want to go out with you today."

"I already have plans, I'm sorry."

Ares glances behind me.

"With them?"

"Yes, we're going to celebrate passing an exam." Ares raises an eyebrow.

"And you don't usually pass?"

Not with such a high score as today.

"Hey, it's not that, it's just... It's Friday. You know, we make up any reason to celebrate."