Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 21. The Girl

21

THE GIRL

RACHEL

My dignity appreciates that Apollo has interrupted this painful conversation, but my heart is eager to know what Ares was going to say before his brother showed up. Was he going to break my heart again? Or was he going to say something else?

I would never know.

"Nothing's happening," Ares replies curtly.

Apollo frowns, it's so strange to see him upset, "Yeah? So why did you drag my guest here?"

Ares sighs, "I just wanted to give her necklace back, she came for that reason, after all." Ares hands me the necklace and Apollo's face goes through a variety of emotions ranging from surprise, to understanding and ending in sadness.

Uh, the sweet Hidalgo's boy looks at me, "That's why you came, you didn't come for my party."

"No, no, Apollo, actually—"

Apollo gives me a sad smile, "It's okay, don't worry, I'm used to it, making friends isn't my thing."

Ah! Shit, Ares! How you complicate my life!

"Apollo..."

"Can you tell what's going on?" A strong, manly and quite serious voice surprises us all.

Artemis Hidalgo is standing in the doorway and his mere presence is enough to silence us all and leave us frozen, obedient as scolded children.

Artemis has the same brown eyes as Apollo but his hair color is between blonde and light brown. The features of his face are just as perfect and proportionate as those of his other two brothers. However, Artemis has that air of maturity and power that can leave anyone in awe. A slight, well-groomed and manly beard covers his jawline. I'm not surprised by the elegant suit he's wearing, he has one hand in his pants' pocket. His tie is a bit loose, his shirt is rumpled, and his hair is messy. It reminded me of Claudia when I arrived.

Wait...

That is a very suspicious.

You're paranoid, Raquel!

Apollo is the first to break the silence, "Just Ares being Ares, as always."

Ares glares at him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Apollo snorts, "That you're an idiot."

"Who do you think you're calling an idiot?"

Artemis steps into the room, "You two," he looks at Apollo and Ares, "Outside, now."

"What? Why?" Apollo protests but Artemis only has to give him a look and he lowers his head and leaves the room.

Ares gives me one last look before following his younger brother. I notice the respect they have for Artemis, it seems like he was their father instead of their older brother. And honestly, I don't blame them, Artemis has an intimidating air that commands respect from anyone around him.

"Are you okay, Rachel?"

"Yes, you know my name," I say with surprise.

Artemis gives me a closed mouth smile, "We're neighbors, of course I remember your name."

I feel like an idiot, "Of course."

"Growing up your eyes were always on Ares."

I blush, not knowing what to say.