Chapter 48

"You seem to be busier than usual, Mr. Kwon. important project coming up, I presume." Minho said to his boss who has been on his phone ever since he came to the room.

"Ah, actually no. It seems like someone had reported me for tax fraud once again. It's nothing new."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I got a call just now that I need to head to the designated place for further investigation, before trial."

"Perhaps could it be Eunbi-ssi who threatened you before? Should I call her inside?" Minho threw questions at him, immediately stopped from speaking any further.

"No, I don't think it's her. There's no way she'd be able to pick up hints of a tax fraud in a short time, considering the fact that she has no experience in the field. I'm guessing that it might be an old secretary. Could you investigate who the perpetrator is, Minho? I'm about to prepare the money for the 'cleaning', so I'll be counting on you with that."

"Right away, sir." He bowed before leaving the room to see Eunbi, fully focused on her work as he walked past her so as to not raise any suspicions.
________

"Y/N. seems like it has started." Minho called as soon as he was finished with his job. Driving Eunbi back to her place, that is.

"Really?"

"Yeah. He told me that he'd received a phone call, telling him to come to the station for further investigation."

"Do you think he will try and bribe the agent in charge?"

"He is already a step ahead of you. I'm pretty sure he's already at the office right now, telling the guy to meet him later at night somewhere with a briefcase. But rest assured, he won't accept his bribery. He probably won't even accept his call, considering how busy the guy is.  I've done my research, and it seems like things will go more smoothly than I think it will. Surprisingly, he's someone who has some kind of relation with you."

"Do i know him personally?"

"That I can't tell. But try to think of someone who you might know who has an occupation in that certain field. Also I'm sorry but I can't talk with you much longer. Just wait for the next call."

"Ng. Thanks for the info." He ended the call as Y/N let out a sigh of relief, lying down on the sofa.

"What did he say?" Asked Chaewon who was busy doing her own work.

"Long story short, things are going smoothly and that we should wait for his next call."

"Hm.. Aren't things going a little bit too smooth?" Chaewon's suspicions started to arise as she stopped and paid attention to Y/N.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean like, I was thinking that we'd stumble upon a problem. Like for example, his father having suspicions of our plans you know."

"Well... can't say that I'm not the least bit suspicious of how things are currently going. For now, we should just hope that things are going our way."

"Yeah. You're right. I'm sorry if I made you feel uneasy just now." She apologized, before going back to finishing her stuff.

"It's okay. But just in case something does happen while we're there, just remember to run and never look back."

_________

The day finally came, as Hwanbin is now standing at the front of the office. It's not a new experience for him, as he has already been there a few times prior. Feeling annoyed that he wasn't able to contact the agent, he came in with a grim look as the agent was already there to greet him.

"Good evening, Mr. Kim." The agent in charge returned his greeting with a bow as he brought him towards a hallway, filled with rooms where they could see people being interrogated.

"May I assume that you're the agent in charge for my case?" He asked as they finally reached their destination.

"Yes, Mr.Hwanbin. You are correct. Without further ado, we sh-"

"Before that, Mr. Kim. May I ask you a few questions before we start the investigation?" He said with a smile.

"...you may." Hwanbin was taken aback, as this was the first time someone had agreed to such a request within all those calls he'd received. Usually it'd take time for him to be able to come up with the topic of 'bribery', but it seems to him that he might be able to get to it quicker.

"Good. May I know the person who reported this case?" He asked as he gently sat down.

"Mr. Hwanbin, such information will never be disclosed in order to protect the one who reported the file."

"Is that so? Well not to worry. That's what they all say before they start to spill the beans." He let out a chuckle before throwing another question.

"Let's see, Mr.Kim. Do you know who I am?"

"Of course. You're the head of the Flower ent. It's all in the report, Mr. Hwanbin." He gave him a glance of the cover of the document, showing his file as well as his picture before placing it back down.

"Ah~ you're right. I am the head of the company, which is considered to be one of the biggest agencies here. Of course, being the head of such a company means that I have a lot of money."

"...what're you implying?"

"You're quick to catch on. I'll make it short then." He took a glance around the room, before proceeding with his words.

"Tell you what. Let me off the case, and I'll give you a blank check. You can ask for as many as you want. You'll be able to buy all of the things you want. Houses, cars, traveling between places... or perhaps even paying a debt?"

Hwanbin noticed the agent reacting to the word 'debt', as he went for the topic.

"Yes, debt. I know how hard it is when there's a debt on your tail, chasing you around with its people. How they would aggressively ask you for the cash, never thinking about whether you had it or not. If you have the money, then good for you. But if you don't... you'll get beat up, won't you?"

The agent started to act nervous, as Hwanbin went for the final strike with a grin.

"Imagine, what would happen if all those debts just vanished into thin air? With a lot of cash left?! You can finally live at peace. Finally having the peaceful life you always wanted, without needing to ever worry about a debt collector kicking down your door."

The agent's fingers started to fidget, trying hard not to make eye contact. In the end, it was to no avail.

"Okay... I'll take the money."

Hwanbin clenched his fist, as he felt another victory was coming onto his side. What he didn't know is, he was only straying further from it.

"...is what you expect me to say, didn't you?" The smile on their face swapped, as the agent is now the one who's grinning.

"What?" He looked at the man who's smiling from ear to ear, as he relaxed himself leaning towards the chair.

"I heard unpleasant rumors coming from you, Mr. Hwanbin. I won't say what it is, but this is definitely one of them. And the fact that you're doing this with me in such a bold way, means that you don't know who I am. Ah~ this is fun."

"Who... who are you?!"

"Starting to lose your nerves, I see?" He laughed, before he continued.

"Bribing me just adds more proof to the accusation that's been put up against you, Hwanbin-ssi. Consider yourself unlucky this time. Or should I say that I'm lucky because this case was handled by me? Wait, is it really only me that's working in this case? Or perhaps there's someone who's been giving me information about you?"

"What're you talking about?!" He finally snapped as he slammed both of his palms to the table, causing the mug on top of it to fall over, spilling water everywhere.

"Let's meet again in trial, Mr.Hwanbin. I'll be waiting for you to be slammed into jail."