Chapter 66

Just because she had her powers didn't mean everything was magically alright.

Kol was dead. Klaus had wanted to let her rest, so when Rebekah had come to tell her brothers that Kol wasn't going to survive the curse Finn placed on him, he'd cleverly left Esmeray with Cami and Hope. The two women were left too busy with the little girl to do anything that might have saved him.

Not that they could have. Even with all of Esmeray's power and healing knowledge even Finn didn't have, the curse had progressed too far for her to have saved him. Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah had returned very late in the evening, and had not told Esmeray and Hayley what happened until the next morning.

"Oh my god," the werewitch whispered, looking at Klaus with wide eyes. "I was wondering why you never came back... I'm so sorry."

Since he'd been so blatant about his plan for intimacy after the wedding, she'd stayed up waiting for him, but had fallen asleep before he arrived. While she lay there under the sheets, still in her pajamas, she'd taken the time to speak to her inner wolf.

"Are you there?" Esmeray thought, holding the conversation in her head.

"I'm always here."

"Are you Anya?"

"No, I am you. Do you remember the conversation the two of you had about inner wolves?"

"Yeah, I do. She mentioned three different interpretations. Hers was a spirit guide."

"Yes, that's what I am. But I am also a wiser version of yourself, who is meant to be your counsel and help you make some decisions. And yet, I am also your link to the traditional and primal ways of wolves, who will aid you in giving you the instincts you need when hunting. Not that you need that link, you were there for it all. So you see, the three different interpretations people think of, are really all separate parts of the same thing."

"Why is that?"

"The truth is, us inner wolves may be an extension of the people we inhabit, but we are still essentially our own entity. Some inner wolves are very traditional and won't do much more than teach their people how to be a real wolf. Others will only ever speak up when their person needs a bit of advice. Since you know all three interpretations, I want to help with anything and everything you need, in each of the three categories. I'll always be here."

"That's good to know. Do I just... say 'hello' whenever I need to chat?"

"Yes, you probably should. I'm not the type to talk out of turn, so you'll need to be the one contacting me when you want to talk. You still have to make your own choices, therefore, I will not tell you what to do in a given situation. If you need some advice, however, I am an extra resource."

"Oh, okay. Do I call you Anya?"

"You can, if you'd like."

"Why do you sound like her?"

"Do you recall that Anya told you that her inner wolf sounded like her dead mother? We inner wolves witness our person's entire life. We can see the emotional attachments you create. While Damon and Klaus are the most important people in your life— at least, those who stand out compared to the others you consider as family— your love for them was not necessarily tied to being a wolf.

"Anya, on the other hand, was the one who spoke to you often of modern day werewolves, and made you feel comfortable with how they operate in this time. She was the one who taught you the different ways people perceive their inner wolves. And it's no secret you miss her every single day. While I am you, I embody her, because now that we can speak, you need a comforting voice to turn to when you are struggling. Anya's voice was the best choice to help calm you down when you need it. I will guide you as if I am her. I could switch my voice, eventually, if I think someone else's voice might be more comforting to you."