Chapter 21

"Hello? Hello, Rayne?"

"I'll call you back." And I hang up. I grab my hair in a fistful, pulling them up but careful not to cause myself pain yet it's uncomfortable. I don't seem to care as I steer off into the lame possibilities.

If Nicklaus is what I think him to be, he wouldn't tell me and if he did, he'd do something to me that would let his secret hidden. But this possibility that's disturbing me and the hazy memories will always haunt me unless I ask him. I will have to summon bravery when I see him at school tomorrow. More also, satisfying myself by asking him questions will help me to know how I landed at the hospital and other forgotten memories. Or maybe I'm just making up unnecessary thoughts because of the concussion.

I spend the rest of the day looking over to the woods, take a rest on the bed to reel over the thoughts again and again and again since it won't just won't leave me be.

That night, I dreamed of eerie dreams involving blood, flooding onto a white floor, nothing in sight but whites...fangs, walking by itself without being attached to a jaw and wanting to crawl to bite me...woods, trees and shrubs trailing after me...and red, glowing eyes chasing me in a dark room. It's taunting and dreading that I couldn't sleep anymore when I wake up. 

I get up, halfway on the bed and support my stomach with lots of pillows at the chest to prop up and look out through the window to the woods. It's dead silent, very taciturn as if no creature could be in there but I know better, there is.

There is something, or someone in there, probably watching me from faraway, away from eye-reach. It's terrifying just to dwell into the thought alone. So, I went back to sleep when the time in the analogue watch on my cabinet says four in the very-early-of-morning.

A breeze blows, sprawling my hair and my eyes wrinkle to open and adjust. I draw my hair from my face, and stand to an upright, sitting position on the bed and turn when I see my windows open.
What the... how?

Dried brown, yellow, and green leaves flies in and I pick those in my hair, throwing them away through the same open window. I have no idea how it even opened.

Nicklaus-damn-vampire-bad-boy-Originals! My subconscious suggest and I shun her instantly. Those were just yesterday's thought. It's still dark which means I haven't even slept at all and the sky is granted with just a crescent moon and less stars but still, it's marvelous and exquisite.

The window creaks, opening more, shit, exactly like in the movies, where an unknown, frightening, beastly monster would just come in and want to devour its sinister part on its victim. Maybe I'll act Bruce Lee after all, at this time of the night.

As my hands trails closer to grab the plastic handle to close the window, I feel the air shift, becoming much cooler and breezing more and more.

My heart picks up a pace and when I reach the handle to pull the window, an ear-piercing, irritatingly-extra-annoying tone of my alarm buzzes off. I jolt up and when I realize it's the alarm, I pull the window down and slam the alarm. It gushes down and splatter on intact with the floor. I need to lie to mom about how it got destroyed.

Before it stops working, I check it broken screen to check the time and see a less clearer...six in the morning. So, I slept for some hours. It had felt as if I hadn't slept at all.

"I'm going insane." I mumble.

Is this how mental disorder start? Lack of sleep, thinking, rather depression. I'm not depressing. Then why didn't I sleep, if I wasn't depressed? Enlightens, my inner feminine-troublemaker-seventeen year-old-girl. I hate to think she's right but then, she's the one with thoughts so she's probably lying to myself.

I didn't get the chance to refresh myself, that is, getting back to sleep for more time when mom hits a knock on my door. Since the analogue clock has destroyed, I check the wall clock instead...seven in the morning. I want to sleep more.

With complaint, edging my voice, I cry aloud. "Rayne wants more sleep."

"Get your ass off the bed, right now. You were in all day and night so you should have get enough sleep. I'm taking you to school today since I have the day off."

If only mom knew.

****

Thanks for reading. Vote and comment and share to your friends. It will mean a lot to me as an author. Laters.