Chapter 28

Carl's hand on my shoulders calls me back to life. "You didn't hear me at all, did you?"

"I'm sorry, I need to go."

Before anything else, I open the door impatiently and run to my doorstep.

"Are you okay, Rayne?" He opens his door.

"Get back into the car, Carl. Please don't follow me," he freezes on his track. I brush the glint of pain in his eyes away. "Stay back, please."

"Are you okay, Rayne? You can't just tell me to stay back with the way you're acting.

"I want you to. Go back home. I'll see you tomorrow at school. I promise, I'm fine," getting to the front door, I glance back and tell him, "pinky promise, I'm okay."

When I close the door behind me, I hear the screech of his tires retreat, going away. I sigh and sight mom, sleeping in the living area's couch. She had her hair, scattered all over her face — somewhat eerie and the blankets covers half her body.

Where I'm rushing upstairs, rather than being silent, I nudge my knees against the center table and wince as lowly as I summon.

"You're home." I disregard her and start to sneak upstairs when she jolts up from the couch as if she's been pinched-- two pillows fall down from her action. "You're home! How? When?" She searches for her phone, "it was not muted so, if you called I'd have heard it."

"I didn't call mom," I rush, "I could have had Shade drive me home and I can take care of myself too, you don't have to do everything. And starting from tomorrow, I'm taking my own car to school. Love you. Got to get to my room. I have an urgent homework."

While hurriedly climbing up the stairs, mom calls, "there is a trunk load of ice cream in the fridge in case you want one. I'm going back to sleep. A day off is so relieving." Mom whispers the last part mostly to herself but I hear her yet.

I drop my bag onto the made bed-- mom must have made it for me and plop down onto the leather chair, dad gifted me on an non-occasional day, few months back and turn on my laptop.

I always have it in switch user so, it doesn't take long before it come alive. I scroll to the browser and start to search; strange red eyes, then, vampire's description, followed by, colour change in Vampire's eyes related to mythology. Afterwards, I find myself in a website, enlightening me on vampires — called The Cold Ones.

The Cold Ones? Spark a ring.

Nicklaus... cold...

Pictures of crosses, horrifying words, caskets, dark places, scarlet-red eyes, change in their colour of eyes, pertaining to feeds.“Vampires are meant to drink human blood..." I shrink at the thought of someone digging their teeth's inside my flesh because of some damn blood they needed to survive. I reserve my comment for now.  “...Vampires who normally drink human blood have red eyes, and they dull when they become thirsty. Some eyes don't get dull but grow a dark brown when they need more.” blood, arrgh! “and turn into a lighter, creamier, golden orbs once hunger is expunged.”

Key word — lighter, creamier, golden shade of eyes, red shade of eyes, it relate.

I wheel the office chair backwards in shock, away from my desk and whisper to only myself.

"Nicklaus is a—"

The shutters clicks open and breezes fans inside, blowing my hair. I yelp and jump out of the chair.

***
Thanks for reading. Laters people. Do vote and share and comment. I'm hoping for more audience. So if any of you, my readers, can help me get more readers, please do help me out.