Chapter 33

"Yeah."

"Welcome home." He shouts. His voice is from the kitchen so, I gait over there.

"When did you arrive?"

"This afternoon." He chuckles. "It was a surprise, not even your mother knew I was coming. I'm so sorry, dear that I stayed away too long."

"Okay."

I almost crack up into laughter when I see the cook version of my oh-too-bad-a-chef Dad. His apron is moist, filled with splashed water and sticky yolks of eggs, even the shells seems to befriend the apron. I smiled at that. His hair is of no good, ruffled and tinted with flour, abreast his face and arms....and literally, all over his body.

"What are you doing?" It seems obvious but I needed to ask still.

"Doing some cooking? Fish rolls won't be a bad idea to apologise since I don't know how to cook your, what is it called?"

"Bana-eggs."

"Correct."

"So, fish roll then?" I ask and take few steps inside and unroll the apron by the rack, dressing it to my body.

Dad didn't look at me so, I assume he didn't know I'm about to take the cooking from him.

"Yeah. I'm using the catfish I got from the mart."

"Okay, you've tried enough to go and rest," he groans as I take the knife from him, starting to cut the rolls while he goes to the sandstone counter and sits on it, his legs touching the floor despite the height of that thing.

"Why won't you let me? This is why I never know how to cook."

"You're bad at cooking and you know that. You don't actually know what you're doing and you're checking the know-how note to learn how to do fish rolls. Take lessons from us, you wouldn't listen, busy all the time with work, work, work." I ramble on while dad gets down from the counter and open the faucet to wash his hands and lower his arms. I watch him from the corner of my eyes.

"I don't think you're right. It's all because I spilled two spoonful of salt into a cup of rice." Dad jokes.

"I guess you finally know the reason."

I go back to chopping the rolls whose inside is filled with sprinkled fish. When I'm done, I start to fry it. About fifteen minutes later, with numerous chats from Dad about his work and stuffs, I finish with frying and Dad goes to setting up dinner.

"Dad?"

"Hm." He stops what he's doing to face me.

"I need a nap. When I wake up, I'd eat. That means you shouldn't finish the rolls."

"Sure. But I will be taking your Mom out tonight, which will be in the next," he takes a glance at his wristwatch, "let's say, two hours."

"Okay. I'll try not to be angry that I'm left out-"

"Oh, no, dear. We will still do the family outing stuff. Exercise patience, good?" Dad chuckles while I roll my eyes.

"Okay. I'm off to bed. Just wake me up before you guys leave."

"Sure thing."

With a croaky smile on Dad's face, I walk away from the dinning room to my bedroom. I take a sharp, warm bath to cleanse my body off the dust of sticky flours, and when I'm done, I change into an oversized white shirt and bumster. Ramblingly, I climb into the bed, crumbling the pillows that they fall down but I don't seem to care. Minutes later, I'm off to a trance state.

"Rayne." I wake up to Mom's consistent shaking of my shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"Your dad and I - we will be leaving soon. We wanted you to know before we left." Mom tells me. Rubbing my eyes, I blink up at her as I sit up.

"Okay. Have a nice time."

"Thanks. You can go back to sleep, if you want." Mom pats my head as she stands.

"Hm." Before she gets to the threshold, I call after her. "Did I remember to tell you guys that I'll be visiting the library tonight?"

"Sure not, but don't stay long. And go nearby." There, that's a firm instruction. I nod my head in agreement.

Mom leaves the room. I plop up on the bed, brush my hair to a side and hop down. While I walk to the dinning room, I hear the door close. Taking a seat, opening the dishes, I take a piece of the roll when I remember that I left my phone on the mosaic counter, in the kitchen.

I rush to the kitchen to find a missed call from Shade. I dial her number. On the third ring, she picks up.

"Rayne? Where the heck were you?" Shade practically yells into the phone. I frown.

"Sorry, I was asleep. What's up?"

"I was selected." She hums happily.

"Wow, I'm happy for you. How are you celebrating?"

"I am currently with my family. Dad and Mom had to rush here when they heard the news this noon. I still can't believe it. I will go to the company next tomorrow to find out how things are going to work out." Shade is ecstatic.

"Whatever is going to happen, I'm sure it will be great. Just live in this happy moment of yours." I breath out.

"Why don't you come join us? I saw your Mom leave with someone - is he your dad?"

"Yup."

"I'm-a have to meet him someday. Well, as I was saying, come join us, you're alone, right?"

"Actually I have to visit the library. Got to finish on a me-made assignment." I can hear the sigh of disappointment from the other side.

"Okay, then. I will see you later. I don't know yet if I'll come to school."

"Bye, girl."

"Bye." Shade hangs up.

***
Thanks for reading.

Vote and comment and share.