Chapter 34

I start to eat the roll when I drop my phone. Ten minutes pass and that's when I decide to visit the library. I check my dress in the mirror and see it worthy to wear out, especially at this time of the day. There's no much people out there, so less eyes will see what I wore.

The night's usual galling recognition doesn't change still as I hug myself from the breezes. Maybe it was a bad idea after all to wear this out, on a second note. Getting to my car, I turn the engine on, and fortuitously enough for me, the insides are warmer. Within few minutes, I am pulling off by the street of the library.

I turn off the engine and approach the building. Getting to the registry, the librarian, Martha smiles a broad smile at me.

"How are you doing, Rayne?"

"Fortunately, great." I nod my head.

Martha moves out from behind the booth to meet me. She pulls me into a side hug and when she pulls back, a rather disapproving look is plastered on her face.

"Oh, come on, don't tell me that I will have to come again from that book." I grunt, facing heavenwards.

"No, it's not that. I know I told you the book contains all history about Vampires and it's my boss'. I don't even know how he gets that book, because it contains all knowledges. Boss has kept it safe, but now that he's gone out, I will have to lend you the book, but please and please, make sure to return it in a week. Boss will not check for the book until then. I'm sure." Martha explains in a hasty manner.

"I promise to return it in a week." I tell Martha. She sighs and murmur words of convincing.

"You're not making a mistake, Martha. Your boss won't sack you."

"Thank you so much for helping me out." I state. Martha gives me an approving nod.

"This way." She leads the path to a door, directly opposite from where I was.

Opening the door, I gasp. I have never come here before, but was allowed to stay out and search for things I might want. This part of the library is stocked with tons of books, arranged into sections of tall drawers with the name tag of selections on top. Next to each drawers are wooden ladders to search for higher-placed books. Wow.

"I'm just going to-" Martha grabs a ladder to its drawer before she finishes her words. "You can help me hold it, the wheels are pretty slippery." She mention nervously as she start to climb up.

"If you don't want to do this... I don't want to feel like I'm forcing you on anything."

"And now is when we want to drop out. I don't know why, but I feel like helping you." Martha glances down at me. I hold the ladder firmly to avoid any injury to my helper.

After series of scrolls, Martha finally takes out a book and pass it down to me. I take it, while making sure to maintain my hold on the ladder with my other hand.

"This is it?"

"Yup." She start to climb down. Finally she gets down and wheel the ladder back to its position.

I check the cover the book, it's having an archaic type of structure, black in colour, and scribbled at its top is the word. "The Truth By The First Men."

That sound pretty tough and old-fashioned. I turn the book to check its back, but there's nothing there.

"Thanks a million time, Martha."

"Now if you would do me a favour, can you wait for me to finish up with closing? Actually, I need a ride."

"It is the least I can do." Martha snort at my words.

We walk out to the registry and Martha commence her chores on cleaning up the library as she picks up the scattered books. While she does those, she glances over to me. I have find comfortablity in the small area, sitting on a footstool, my legs curled over one another as I watch the walls, filled with portraits of the wild.

"Your boss must be a fan of nature." I state rather than question. What I'm seeing confirms my guess to a higher level where there's no hint of doubt.

"Sometimes I think it's obsession. He loves the wild particularly than main nature." Martha says. She picks up her bag, and crosses it over her shoulder. "Let's go, Rayne."

"It's cold out here." Martha says on our way to the car. We are still in the library's compound though.

"You have no idea."

"Now, I do." She says and we both laugh. All of the sudden, she stops walking; I stop laughing.

"What's wrong?"

"First, I didn't bring the keys to lock the hounds' gate. Second, I didn't sign out."

She signs out? My naughty subconscious is mocking Martha in her somnambulant state. Christ, did she just mention 'hounds' and that she hasn't locked them?

"There's a hound in here? What the...in a library? For what?"

"Point of correction 'there are hounds not a hound', and my boss is pretty a wildlife lover. He is a true weirdo." Martha explains.

"How do you cope?"

"They know me. I'm going to go lock them up." Martha start to walk away. I feel a new wave of adrenaline starting to wash in. "You will be fine. They don't come out of their cage unless boss or his friend comes here. They will be in their cage right now."

As if any of what Martha is explaining is to make me feel better, she finally walks out of view, leaving me in the dark, and the breezes aren't gentle in an ounce. I summon up few courage, and brush my palm against my forearms. I cross them over one another, waiting for Martha when a dreadful growl sounds from behind me. I gulp at first and pretend with all might that nothing is there, just behind me.

Another growl and I'm forced to turn to my back. My stomach erupt into aches as my heart race ten times then normalcy. Tears brims my eyes, knowing what I will face and to move my legs at all is like moving blocks. Facing my behind, I yelp but to run can't just happen. Where would I even run to before being eaten?

***
Thanks for reading guys. I have a new story here on Wattpad which I love too. Well, as I've said before it's not a season book. It's just one. So, if you're a lover of Within The Cave-Originals, do go and read this amazing new work of mine. I'll really appreciate it guys. Laters.

And....it's in my second account. Here it is...SanusiAdemola