Chapter 38

Entering the building, I go in awe. The interior is well designed with artful portraits, each of them having something they speak about in their taciturnity. All around me are equipments, filling the space and few numbers of people chatting, or exercising. It takes me a minute to realize Carl had stopped waking too. The floor, tiled and squeaky clean with furnitures made with woods and sandstones. I can say this is one of the few gyms I've seen where I will be eager to test the machines.

"Before anything, we have to meet Larry. Oh, there he is." Carl sounds exultant as he points to a guy.

Just in time before we start nearing the guy, he shift and sight us. A smile creeps up his face. He looks age-mate to Carl and almost of the same height which means he's also taller than me, but won't tower much over me. He has an olive skin, bright turquoise hair that blends appropriately with the same colour of his eyes. Vest and sweatpants like leggings reveals the muscles beneath his dress. I have to say he's a good example of what he does.

"Larry." Carl calls. He extend his arms and they hug.

"Boss, it's a surprise to see you here." Within the hug, Larry says, chuckling. They pull back and that's when he seems to notice me. "And you brought someone. Hmm." Larry whines when Carl hits him in the belly, but I can tell he's joking.

"Rayne, you've met Larry. Larry, this is Rayne." Carl introduces, rolling his eyes when Larry outstretch his hand.

"Hello, madame." Says Larry in a flirting tone.

"I will subject you not to shake that hand."

"I think I have no choice." I shrug and shake Larry's hand. Woah, for a handsome guy as Larry, I didn't expect him to have such hard palms. They talk violence or rather he's used them for something aggressive, too many times. Maybe he includes fighting into his work.

"You are very beautiful, my lady."

Before a response from me, but an inevitable, unstoppable blush, Carl has separated Larry's hand from mine.

Nor do I have the chance to complain when Carl changes the subject. "Where is Matteo?"

Matteo? The library's owner? He will be coming here?

Larry has those painful expression when he replies. "He said he'll be here soon. No doubt he's on his way." He turns to me and smile a crook smile. "Let's get you upstairs, Rayne."

"Trust me, you are thankful I did that." Carl whispers into my ears. I smile and tilt my head to a different angle and blink up at him.

"I think I am." I whisper back.

"Mind you, I can hear your whispers." Larry takes a sharp turn to his behind before he faces front and leads the way.

"Carl." A masculine tone calls from behind us. We turn.

"That is Matteo." Carl tells me when he sees the guy.

"And he knows his book is with me?"

"Sure. Don't worry though. He's the gentleman kind, while Larry is known for his hugs."

I chortle. I wonder what Carl is known for.

Matteo, an Italian American guy who's wearing an shirt of complex description. He has a black hair, dark brown eyes that's almost evident as black until he walks closer, and tanned skin, making his skin almost sync in blackness to Shade's. Sharp chiseled jaw of his, and long face helps to shape out a handsomer face.

"We were just talking about you, brother." Larry chuckles. He hugs Matteo in a side hug.

"From four street away, I did not hear you talk about me much, but flirting with this young lady." Matteo has a noticeable, unfamiliar accent, but his fluency in English is accurate and quite speedy. "I am Matteo. You are?"