Chapter 71

Things did not get better.

"So Hayley isn't coming back, we have a fucking hurricane closing in on us, and Klaus is missing," said Esmeray, looking out the library window. "Fucking perfect. Can someone tell me how the hell he got that dagger out of himself?"

"It has to have been Dahlia," said Freya, clasping her hands tightly together. "And there is no telling how much he hurt. Judging by the fact I am still alive, we must assume he did not hear anything regarding the pregnancy."

Esmeray held out her phone. "I can try calling him again."

"You've tried ten times already," sighed Rebekah. "He's not going to want to reply."

Either way, she dialed his number again. They were quiet, waiting. But he did not answer, and Esmeray figured it must be because he knew he was acting rashly, and didn't want Esmeray to get involved, lest she be harmed in wanting to help him.

"Klaus," she said, choosing to leave a voicemail for him. "We really need to talk. Call me back, please. I... I really need to hear your voice right now."

"This could be Dahlia's plan," mused Freya. "She could be trying to win Klaus to her cause."

"That is absurd!" cried Rebekah. "Nik would never align with Dahlia."

Freya was clearly irked. "You continue to defend him."

"He'd kill anyone who'd try to take his daughter," said Rebekah. "Even if he doesn't know about baby number two, he won't let Dahlia take Esmeray, either."

"Well, isn't it Hayley who's trying to take his daughter?" inquired Freya.

"Their daughter," Elijah corrected her gruffly. "Let's not forget that Dahlia is the true enemy here!"

Freya cast him a fake smile. "How good, then, that I finished my spell." She urged them toward the courtyard, gesturing at the paintings she'd set up around the four corners. "The paint of his artwork, combined with my blood, will render Dahlia vulnerable. The moment she passes between these paintings, she will be mortal." She held out a blade to Elijah. "You can kill her, using this."

Elijah was surprised. "Father's knife?"

"I thought it appropriate," said Freya.

Elijah was going to say something else, but froze. "We have a visitor." He sped to the entrance, and the three women peered out the window, seeing Gia.

"Aw, his little girlfriend," said Rebekah with a smile.

Esmeray cleared her throat. "Well, you can all come and get me when you're ready. I'm going to go do a spell that'll at least make me look a bit beat up, otherwise, Dahlia won't buy the fact that Freya took me down."

What she really needed was to talk to Anya.

"Hi," she said in her head as she started putting on some makeup.

"Hello. Congratulations on the baby!"

"Did you know?"

"I didn't. I found out at the same time as you. I don't know much about your physiology, since I'm tied to your spirit."

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing by staying and going along with this plan?"

"I do. You're keeping Hope safe, and you've already performed the spells needed to protect your baby from Dahlia's magic."

"Do you think I should be out looking for Klaus so I can tell him before he does something he'll regret?"

"Well, if you did try to find Klaus, you wouldn't be very focused for this trap. This is the thing you want to fixate on. He'll find out eventually, and he'll be happy."