Chapter 72

March 21, 2014

Klaus was horrified by what he found in the laboratory.

They hadn't been expecting much. This was the sixth Kingmaker Land Development Office they'd been to, and they were now in Lexville, Texas. It had been over a year since Esmeray had been seen, and though Klaus had no idea that Lucien had her, he had a feeling that these offices were the key to finding her.

Lo and behold, there she was, completely unconscious and with a muzzle that was still draining out her venom.

"Oh, my god!" said Hayley as the two rushed forward, immediately tearing off the restraints on the wolf's arms. She looked half-starved and very sick, judging by the fact that she was unresponsive even after Klaus gave her his blood.

"They're all wolves," said Hayley as Klaus picked Esmeray up, cradling her in his arms and trying desperately to wake her up. "Wait— this girl over here, she's a vampire."

The man that was beside Esmeray coughed when he realized someone was there. Klaus looked up, and his face went slack. "I remember you," he murmured as Hayley rushed to remove the man's mask. "You— you're Anya's father."

Elvis had to pant several times before he was able to speak to them. "You have no idea," he wheezed, looking at Esmeray, "how many times she tried to call out for you."

Klaus tensed, stroking the werewitch's hair slowly. "What do you mean?"

"She cried herself to sleep every damn night. We all got used to it. We had no place to complain, after what she's been through here."

And so began the recap of the horrors that Lucien Castle had bestowed upon Esmeray Poldark, just for the sake of tormenting Klaus.

"I got kidnapped in February of 2013," said Elvis once Hayley had moved around, waking up and healing the other wolves. "When is it now?"

"March of 2014," Klaus told him, looking back down at Esmeray, who still hadn't woken up. "You mean to tell me... the two of you have been here an entire year?"

Elvis nodded, refusing to look at Esmeray, as if the memories pained him. "I remember my daughter told me about the memory thing she did," he mumbled, before extending his aged hand toward Klaus. "I can't..."

Klaus understood. Going through what he witnessed was too much to ask of him. So he took his hand, entering his mind.

He was looking through Elvis's eyes, the first morning after Esmeray had arrived. "Rise and shine, love," said Lucien, coming in to look at her. She was pale and there was blood all over her legs. "I've got a doctor ready to help you."

"Help me?" she whispered, staring at him hatefully. "You killed my child."

"Oh, don't look so glum, I don't know how you could possibly want a baby with Nik— he's not the best when it comes to anything."

"Really?" she hissed before going into a brief coughing fit. "You... are just jealous."

"Not at all, princess, I actually admire Nik quite a bit."

Esmeray growled, trying to break free again, only to find that she still couldn't do it. "Don't call me that!"

"I'll call you whatever you please," said Lucien, grabbing her face roughly. "I'll do whatever I want with you. You're never going to get out of here, love. You're going to be here, watching as I carry out my plan to destroy the Originals for good. And the day I kill Nik, I will bring his body here for you to see before I kill you."