Chapter 20

Arthit's POV
I'm finally home after a few months of staying in my dorm. It's true that we'll only miss home when we're away from home. It's a weekend and my dad has left to meet his friends to fish while my mom is baking me some sweets.

Knock. Knock.

The door creaked open and mom came in with a tray of chocolate chip cookies and some tea.

"Mom, you're really the best mother out there." I pulled a chair for her near my desk and she sat on it, placing the tray in front of us.

"Well, I was going to ask you to have tea in our backyard but you've been locking yourself up these few days." I stopped munching on the cookie and looked at her. I gave her a toothy smile and she chuckled, making her dimple very much pronounced.

"Such a messy eater." She took a tissue and wiped my mouth while I pouted my lips a little.

"So, how's life on campus?"

"Well, it's all the same except I won't have someone nagging at me anymore." Hearing that, she gently hit my head with her spoon.

"Ouch." I caressed the spot she hit which isn't aching at all.

"You're gonna miss my nagging soon."

"Yeah, I'll miss you and dad." I took the cup and sipped the hot tea, hissing when it burnt my tongue a little.

"So, care to tell me what happened to you?"

"I'm fine, nothing special is happening to me. Even if there is, it might just be stress because of school. It's quite hectic everyday on campus." She clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Seriously, who do you think I am? I'm your mom for God's sake, I know everything alright? Besides, who would be stressed about school during semester break? Find a better excuse next time."

"There isn't anything you should be worried about, mom. I'm telling the truth."

"As if I would believe you."

She sipped her tea and I was biting on a cookie, chewing it slowly while praying for her to let go of that matter.

"Well, what about that kid we went shopping with? I told you to invite him to our house during semester break."

"Mom, he's busy."

"He's busy or you're the one who's being ignorant?"

"I..."

Ring. Ring.

I look at my phone that's ringing on the desk. It's an unknown number.

"Hmm, why don't you pick it up?"

"I...Maybe no, it might be a scam."

"It's alright, just pick it up. Look, it's calling again. It might be important."

Mom didn't even give me the time to respond and she picked up the call, putting it on speaker.

"Hello?"

What the heck?!!

Shit.

I quickly hung up the call before mom could say anything.

"Why did you hang up? I can hear it's from Kongpob."

"Mom, it's not him."

"Stop lying to your mom. You're acting like your crush just called you, which is actually the truth by the way."

"Mom!" I can feel the heat creeped up my cheeks as I felt my phone vibrate on my hand.

It's the same number.