|38| London

"So let me get this straight, you can't find the cause of her illness? I though you said you were close!" you father yells angrily to the doctor with you in the room. You had your earphone on, listing to music because your father told you to wear them, could be because he didn't want you hearing him yell at the doctor for not 'being able to do his job'.

But you pretended you were listening to music. You wanted to know what they were going to talk about as it's about you and you health.

"Mr. (Your Last Name), everything was normal until a few months ago. Around the time she started school. Her virals, heart, health, everything. They were normal and getting better. A few attacks but we were close to figuring what the cause was until one appointment. I have informed you about this. I have asked you if anything was different because something have changed but you said she didn't do anything our of the ordinary and she said the same. I'm also to blame because I didn't take a closer look at the problem however, every trip she made to the hospital because of an attack, she kept getting worst and finding the cause of her illness is how impossible. Everything is all over the place. I'm sorry to say this, Mr. (Your Last Name) but there's no way for (Name) to survive. She had a chance a few months ago but now there's nothing we can do but try to slow it down which can cause a problem," the doctor explains which cause you to clench your fist while keeping a straight face as you pretend you're looking through your phone.

"Problem? What problem?! I thought that's what you were trying to do before! Why you gave her those medication. Now you're telling me that slowing it down can cause a problem? That curing her is impossible? That she's beyond saving?! She's sixteen---" you father stops himself and takes a deep breath, "(Name) followed your every rule. She's been careful with what she eats, she exercises enough to not trigger an attack... She can't die young. She just can't," your father tells him hopping there's another way.

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can be done to save her. At this point, all we can do is continue to figure what has she got this. She wasn't born like this, Mr. (Your last Name). Her body adapt to it. She got this which is why I need to ask this, are you sure you don't know how she got this illness? Her mother, did she have any illnesses?" the doctor ask.

"No. Her mother was healthy just like how I am. (Name) was just a sick baby. We have already discussed this. You seen her report. Now explain to me by what you meant when you said that slowing down her illness is a problem?" your father ask frustratedly.

"Slowing down her illness will just cause a mess as it would be trying to stop it. It's like putting a pause on it. If we try to slow it down, then what we're going is just causing an explosion in her. It's how she started getting random attacks or getting attacks faster than usual. She gets dizzy and fells like collapsing. Instead of going step by step, slowing it down is forcing her stages to show up earlier than expected," the doctor explains as he takes out a few x-rays and scans. 

But before he continues, he gets your attention. You look at him and take off the earplugs. He ask you if you can step out for a second and you nod. You get up and walk out but you stand right next to the door, hoping you can still hear their conversation.

"But isn't slowing down her illness suppose to be a good thing?" your father ask as he just doesn't understand this.

"If it was Cancer or something else, yes. It would be but in your daughter's case, it's not. I have explained (Name) what's going on with her illness by using Soda as a metaphor so that she can understand," the doctor tells him while your father looks at the scans and x-rays, "Let me give you an example, let's say this is like traffic. Red light means stop, green means go and yellow means slow down. (Name) had this system in her body which worked perfectly but suddenly, something happened to the traffic lights that started to cause traffic," the doctors explain in a way that your father would understand as he knows that if he uses medical terms, it would get him nowhere.