Chapter One

The squeak that came from Elsine when her ladies pulled at her corset strings echoed around the room. She gasped, holding to her small, wrapped waist, and fixed her friends with an exasperated look, "Are you two trying to make me look more like a stick?!"

Leina blew the fly-away raven strands from her pretty, dark eyes. Her hands fell to sit on her hips. But she had no time to speak when Feyer beat her to it― green eyes alight with a passion to set her beautiful friend straight about her womanhood. "No stick I 'er seen got an arse like yours, Elsi. Stop your fussin'!"

Leina snorted, promptly covering her nose as her cheeks grew pink. Feyer's little nose bunched in the middle, her freckles bumping into each other. Elsine blinked rapidly at the somewhat vulgar compliment. The silent moment was deflated as the three girls burst into a fit of giggles. It was the day Elsine would meet her Summer Court princes and it had the girls in a tizzy of nerves. Normally, the three were well trained in acting regal but behind Elsine's chamber doors they were still seventeen-year-old girls. The princess was especially grateful for them during this time in her life, and for the many years, they had been true friends to her.

There was a sliver of excitement that kept shooting through her at the thought of the boys she would meet tonight. But the shadow of doubt and fear chased away the fleeting, girly feeling. She dropped into one of the chairs facing her grand mirror and sighed away the giggles, her fingers prodding at her temple.

"I do not know if I will survive this."

Leina and Feyer shared a concerned glance, knowing their future queen had been through so much in the past few years, and they too hoped Titiana was looking down on Elsine with favor for her Summer Court. Leina picked up the brush sitting with some other beautiful little hairpins on a small table next to the mirror. She moved behind Elsine to brush through her soft curls.

"You will," she told her softly. Her quiet strength was always comforting to the princess.

Feyer picked up the skirt to Elsine's ball gown, the layers of tulle and silk rustling beautifully as she arranged it neatly. Sending her a confident smile as she spoke loudly, "Yes, you will. Now, up! Let's get you dressed, lassie!"

Elsine did as she was told, standing, and raising her arms so the girls could gently lower the dress skirts over her head. She may not have much choice in her occupation but that didn't mean she could not find a friend among the suitors. And maybe there was hope yet for love to bloom if she could just find it within her heart.

Feyer's green eyes softened, crinkling at the sides as she regarded her elegant friend. She fussed with the skirts for a moment and laced them so that they sat snugly at Elsine's hips. Leina went about helping her into her bodice, fixing the trailing embroidered flowers of the one-shoulder sleeve so they sat perfectly.

"There you are, now you look like a Queen of Summer." Leina set her hands gently on Elsine's shoulders. She pressed her cheek close to Elsine's with a soft smile as they admired her in the long mirror. The princess's eyes welled as she thought about her mother, wishing she was here to say those words to reassure her. She smiled despite the thought and turned to face her ladies, reaching to hold fast to their fingers.

"Thank you, my friends." They squeezed her hands in return with knowing smiles.

Feyer swatted at Elsine's backside and ushered her to the door, "Don't be late! Off ya go."

Elsine giggled, hopping forward toward the door as her friends pushed her. Feyer was always the one who helped her overcome fear with her humor and loud personality. She would always encourage her to be brave― to do what was necessary, and she was thankful for it.

Turning as they reached the door Elsine's delicate blonde eyebrows furrowed in the middle, wondering if she might have time to visit Darius in the stables before she was to meet her suitors. He would want to know what was happening and maybe it would calm her to talk with him. He was her oldest friend and always gave her the best advice.

Leina's dark eyes narrowed, knowing her friend well enough to see what she was contemplating, "Oh no you don't. Your father is waiting for you in the Grand Hall and you will most definitely be late if you go and see Darius! He can wait for the details later, now shoo!"

Elsine thought about arguing but the fire in Leina's eyes, much like a mother bear, made her mouth clamp shut. With one last shove, she was out of her chambers. Leina and Feyer escorted her down the long stone hallway to the double doors leading to the Grand Hall.

Fiddling with the tiny gold strands of her hair that had slipped from her chignon bun, Elsine's nerves drummed through her. Her heart sped in her chest. She bowed her head to her ladies, and they bowed in return before leaving her with encouraging smiles. Letting her hands drop to her sides Elsine brushed the silky fabric of her gown. She lifted her chin and took a minute to breathe deeply. She did not know who she would be meeting tonight― whether they would be her age or if they were Fey. She didn't even know their names. She wished she could be more prepared. Turning her eyes to the ceiling, she prayed again that Titiana would favor her and her Summer Court.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Name Pronunciations

- Elsine (El-seen)

- Leina (Lay-na)

- Feyer (Fay-ere)