Chapter Twenty

The ride up to the falls felt almost too long to Elsine. After sitting in the carriage, the males followed, and the princess was curious why Kannon chose to sit directly across from her instead of next to her. She was thankful for the bit of distance, but it was almost worse with the way his eyes swept over her unabashedly. She had tried to carry on a conversation the entire ride. Ander talked the most, pointing out the different types of crops and trees. It was calming, listening to him share his knowledge of the land, though Hamish seemed extremely bored with it when he interjected to talk about the bustling trade of his province. Just when she thought she could no longer feign interest in the topics, Conor interrupted.

"What is your favorite color, Elsine?" He addressed her, not sparing a glance at the others who quieted.

She started to smile. "I don't know that I could choose just one. . . I guess I would say the mysterious mist of a grey morning or the color of sunlight filtering through the deep green leaves of the trees." It had come out easily, and for a moment she wished she had answered more simply, but when Conor grinned, her smile grew. The carriage came to a stop and the guards assumed their posts to keep any possible onlookers at a distance or to protect the princess if there was a threat to her life.

Ander hopped down from the carriage and jogged around to offer Elsine a hand down. She took it gratefully, stepping into the lush grass of the meadow that lay in front of the river where the falls tumbled over the surrounding cliffs. Ander smiled at her and then went to help Conor unload the picnic. Walking a few steps her eyes swept around. The forest surrounding them was thick with vibrant, green-colored leaves that swayed in the afternoon breeze. Elsine's eyes lit up, wanting to throw off her shoes and run through the meadow, past the trees, and into the glittering water.

"Breathtaking."

She glanced at Hamish who had come to stand next to her, smiling to see how relaxed he looked as he took in the scenery. She looked back at the tall grass that swayed with pops of color from the wildflowers that had made this their home. Warmth caressed her shoulder when one of the males stepped up just behind her, close enough that the front of his shoulder lightly touched the back of hers. She knew it was him without seeing or before he even spoke.

"That it is, Ham." Kannon dipped his head, lowering his voice, "Though, there are some things I can think of that are, quite literally, breathtaking. Wouldn't you agree, Elsine?" Her heart sped and her face warmed. She bit her lips together; indeed she could.

"Again, I implore you, do not call me that horrendous nickname," Hamish groaned.

Elsine took the distraction as an opportunity to step away, turning to face the two instead. It was safer than touching him. Kannon looked amused. "Apologies, Hamish." He turned back to look at Elsine, the wind fluttering the curls over his forehead as he asked, "Walk with me?"

Her throat dried up, blinking as she swallowed the instant 'yes' that wanted to escape. She noted how Hamish's eyes narrowed a little before they dropped away from Kannon who was looking intently at her. "Perhaps later? Why don't we all enjoy the picnic first and then. . . I can take time with each of you." Elsine was desperately trying to be fair when her heart wasn't. Surprise flickered through his jade eyes before they dipped away from hers when he bowed his head.

"Of course, Princess."

She tried to ignore the disappointment in his voice. Conor and Ander came carrying the blanket and food baskets at that moment and she clapped her hands. "Where shall we set up the picnic?"

Ander pointed ahead to a spot in front of the river, "Closer to the water? If that suits you, Elsine."

She nodded. "Suits me just fine."

After it was all set, the five sat and ate, conversing and laughing. At one point Kannon revealed a smuggled bottle of fairy wine and they all indulged, though she noticed Ander paced himself this time. By the time they were done with the wine and the food it felt like they were old friends hanging out. Elsine laid back to watch the clouds, the wine warmed her cheeks. The males followed her lead, their heads in a kind of wonky circle as they pointed out the things they saw.

"We should go swimming," Ander announced in the middle of a comfortable stretch of silence.

"I doubt the king would find that appropriate," Hamish half laughed as he turned to see where the guards were. "We are being watched, you know."

Conor sat up, looking out in the same direction. "Why don't you bribe them to keep quiet about it?"

Kannon laughed, turning to his side and propping his head on his hand under his bent elbow, "How scandalous. You know I like you more every day." Conor grinned.

Hamish scoffed, "I couldn't!" A pause and he looked back at Conor, "Could I?"

Ander stood up and shrugged, starting to undo the buttons of his shirt. "Is it really that important that they would report it to our king?"

Elsine sat up, giggling at the way the wine had allowed the males to act almost like naughty children. She blinked away from where Ander was taking his shirt off, the warmth in her face growing as she grinned and covered her eyes. "Incorrigible, the lot of you!"

"Do not fret, Elsine, he isn't nude," Conor laughed, teasing her.

A surprised laugh came from her throat, peeking over her fingers at Conor as her mouth opened wide, "I did not suggest!"

"What? That you thought we would skinny dip in front of the future Queen of Summer?" Kannon smirked over at her, and Elsine bit back a retort that she thought that was exactly what he would do. She looked at Ander who was in his breeches still, thankfully, and shook her head as he grinned so widely his dimples pulled.

Hamish was standing now as well, looking like he was weighing his options. He nodded once and said as he started off to talk to the guards, "Why not, let's be young and uninhibited at least once in our lives!"

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**