Chapter Eleven

Hamish wasn't so bad at dancing. To her surprise, Elsine realized he was a lot of fun when he let loose. She laughed as he did a funny jig to the flute music. He was genuinely smiling, and the pink color in his cheeks drew out the freckles across his nose. He was a good-looking prince, but not in the way Elsine thought about the other three. She knew that maybe they could become friends but romantically, she didn't see that happening. And because that was just as important as having a friend in her lover and king, she couldn't ignore it.

One of the rules of the Summer Court was that the maiden must give each suitor at least a fighting chance. She couldn't tell the King she simply wasn't attracted to him and then send him home. It would be an insult to Hamish and his people. She would appear shallow, and it would reflect poorly on her crown. The fey valued formality above matters of the heart. Elsine would hate to offend or wound any of these princes. But most of all she hoped that they would come out of this as friends and allies at least with no hard feelings. The princess hoped that she wouldn't make mistakes in that regard. She would have to dismiss the first prince at the Summer Solstice Ball formally. After that, she would have to present a letter that gave a reasonable explanation along with a generous gift for their time here. Dread curled in her stomach, but she pushed it down, focusing on the fun she was having at the moment. She could brood about it later when she was alone.

Ander sidled next to them. "May I cut in?" He asked Hamish. The red-haired prince nodded and walked back to the table. The princess was glad to see him looking exerted but happy. Elsine waved at him and turned to walk into Ander's arms. As he twirled her around, the princess giggled when she tripped. He brought her back and they both stumbled again, another snort escaping Elsine after the wine. She could hardly stand as she laughed at how many times they had tripped over each other.

They swayed funnily and she wrapped her arms around the tops of his shoulders, smiling at him. "I like you," She admitted.

His funny smile softened as his eyes sobered, "I like you too." Her smile broadened, thinking that her face would hurt so much tomorrow morning. She wondered if he would kiss her for a moment when his eyes dropped. But he blinked, looking dizzy all of the sudden. Scared he may faint she led him toward the table to sit down.

"You, Sir Ander, look like you may have had too much to drink. Why don't you sit down for a moment? I don't want you passing out." Helping him to sit, Elsine gently wiped away some of the dark waves from his clammy forehead. When she looked at his eyes, she was surprised by the heat she saw in the amber. Her cheeks warmed, pulling her hand away.

"Thank you," he said, clearing his throat. She nodded with a shy smile as he tried to get comfortable on the dining chair. Scanning the dining hall, she wondered where Kannon had gone. She hadn't had a chance to thank him for the rose or gotten to dance with him yet. She spotted him on the dancefloor, though he wasn't dancing. Elsine realized he was waiting for her as he held out a hand, his jade eyes lighting.

Her heart somersaulted in her chest. She curtsied to Ander and Hamish. "Excuse me."

Hamish looked half asleep, but he nodded. Elsine couldn't tell if Ander looked sick from just the faerie wine or if seeing her and Kannon interact made him queasy. Dipping her chin, she left them at the table trying not to skip to Kannon's outstretched hand. From the moment she took hold of his fingers she lost track of the time as they danced until their feet were sore.

Twirling Elsine around once, Kannon brought her close. His arms wrapped around her waist as his head dipped next to her ear. A thrill ran through her entire body as she slipped her arms around his neck. She could hear his soft breathing. The warmth of his breath danced through the loose curls falling from her hair.

"Thank you for the gift the other night," Elsine whispered, pressing her lips together as she rested them on the front of his shoulder.

She could just imagine his mysterious smirk as he replied, "You're welcome, Elsine."

Lifting her head, she laughed softly under her breath, "Did I really give you . . . butterflies?" She wanted to make sure he wasn't spewing poetry in the way that Hamish would spend ridiculous money to impress her. But she also wanted the chance to tell him he had given her butterflies as well.

He turned so that his lips brushed her ear as he spoke softly, "You have no idea." Pleasant shivers rippled down from her ear to her core. But his next question sent her heart racing, "Meet me in the library tomorrow night?"

It was against the rules. Meeting unaccompanied. But so was his gift. Elsine couldn't think of the rational reason to decline because she was too curious. Too intrigued. But she couldn't make it easy for him. "Why?"

His deep, gentle laugh summoned those butterflies they had been talking about, "I have another gift for you I would rather give you in person."

His voice was so close and quiet in her ear as they swayed it was making it hard to breathe normally. "And how shall you persuade me?" She wondered if she was in over her head with that last question.

"I think I already have, princess." 

~*~*~*~*~*~

**Edited 2022 Kylie R. Trask**