Chapter Forty-Four

Elsine's guards were following them loosely as they weaved through the booths and along the docks. When they circled back Hamish stopped them at a table laden with fine jewelry. "Whichever one you would like, my Lady," he offered, his eyes appraising the jewels.

The leprechaun tending the booth stood up, bowing as he swept off his hat. "Lord Hamish, Princess Elsine― what an honor. I hope you find my wares pleasing."

The princess wasn't in the mood to pick out jewelry but decided to humor him. She didn't want to ruin the end of their day. Smiling at the leprechaun and finding his exceptionally bushy brows and beard to be endearing, Elsine nodded at the table. "So many fine pieces my good sir, how shall I choose?" His rosy cheeks brightened as the princess looked over the selection. Her eyes caught on a delicate pair of earrings; the jade fashioned into polished little leaves. Titiana help her, the princess could think of nothing but Kannon's eyes. Picking them up she glanced at Hamish and then the shopkeeper. "These are beautiful," she commented.

"Ah, yes, a special pair those. Jade stolen from a dragon's hoard― said to have been crafted when the fey were under Mab's rule and couldn't tell a lie. And when worn they harness that old magic so no one can lie to the ears they grace," The leprechaun told her in a lowered voice as he inspected the earrings she held.

"Such lore," Hamish laughed lightly. Elsine caught the brief flash of the shopkeeper's eyes when the prince brushed off his tale. She didn't think it was a tale. Leprechauns lived a very long time and were very sharp creatures with an eye for rare items and treasures.

Clearing her throat, Elsine smiled warmly. "Enchanting. I can imagine how your pieces must be in high demand―" pausing as her eyes sparkled with kindness, she tilted her head and asked, "What do they call you, sir, so the High King and Queen may always have a special selection of treasure to browse?" It was a small token of faith, but no favor or promise was ever taken lightly in Tir na nÓg. And Elsine felt it was important for a monarch to invest in their subjects, and to win over their loyalties.

He blinked, his eyes widening. "My Queen, the honor your request grants me is generous. My name is Jakob." He bowed his head.

Elsine smiled genuinely. "I look forward to furthering business with you, Jakob." Hamish paid for the earrings and handed the princess the package that Jakob had wrapped them in as they headed back to the carriage. "Thank you, Hamish," she said, sending him a smile. If the lore surrounding the earrings were true, he had no idea how much they would help her during the next couple of months.

"You are most welcome, Elsine." He helped her up into the carriage and climbed up after her. She was surprised when he opted to sit next to her instead of across. It felt very informal and with the bumps in the road back to the castle their arms would be brushing with every jolt. Trying to discreetly put space between them, she shifted to an angle where she could half-face him with her backside tucked into the corner so only their knees might touch.

"So, tell me more about trade routes and the types of luxury items your court exports and imports."

If she got him talking the shorter the ride would seem, and she wouldn't have to come up with any more topics of conversation. To her delight, he took the bait and didn't spare her any details as he carried the conversation. His rambling continued until they rolled through the gates of the castle.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**