Chapter Fifty-Nine

Dinner was the most formal part of the evening but as soon as the last course was finished the party livened up again. Elsine had the privilege at this ball to take her first dance with whomever she chose. After her talk with Ander in the garden, and Kannon admitting his jealousy to her, she thought her best choice would be to dance with Conor first. 

She smiled at him across the table, "Conor would you do me the honor of being my first dance this evening?"

"Happily." He grinned, looking much too enthused about getting away from the table. She took his arm and they swept out onto the floor, the crowd clearing a circle for them. A slow song floated through the chatter and the two of them started gracefully into a waltz.

"Are you going to tell me why the tension between the other three could be cut with a knife tonight?" Elsine spoke softly as they swayed.

He chuckled, "You know that saying about two dogs wanting the same bone?"

She snorted and slapped her fingers against his chest. "Are you likening me to a bone, sir?"

"Of course not," he snickered, and she grinned. "Ander is smitten and moves slowly from what I observed, and Kannon, well―"

"Is the opposite," she finished for him before he spun her.

"Only in that, he is quicker at shooting for what he would like." He replied as she came back into his arms. "I think the poor lad is already in love with you." His unexpected observation sent a thrill through her. It was followed by a tumbling of emotions that she wasn't sure what to do with. Distracted, she momentarily tripped up their dance. And Conor, to his credit, made it seem a part of the dance as he guided them smoothly back into rhythm. Elsine would always be grateful for his level head.

"You think he is?" She asked, keeping an eye on their feet so she didn't mess up again. Conor nodded as the song started to wane, signaling a partner change.

"Willing to bet actually, and speak of the devil," he whispered, his dark eyes looking behind the princess to where she guessed Kannon walked toward them. Elsine's heart quickened.

He bowed to his fellow suitor. "May I cut in?" 

Conor bowed back, sending Elsine an encouraging smile before he left. She smiled back, heat rising her neck as Kannon held out his hand, his unruly curls caught in his brows and lashes. "Dance with me, little mouse?"

"I would be delighted, Cat." She took his hand as they shared a secret kind of smile. He brought his hand up and pressed it flat against hers as they took a slow walking spin. His eyes locked on hers from over their fingertips. "Enjoying yourself?" She asked as his gaze started to make her blush.

"Yes, very much." He switched directions, bringing his opposite hand up in the same formation and Elsine followed. "Are you?"

The princess nodded, but her answer was stuck in her throat when Kannon transitioned into the next part of the dance, their hands dropping to the side and his other hand going to her waist. Her dress had so little fabric that their skin touched and the only thing Elsine could compare the feeling to was heat. Like being too close to a fire. His fingers brushed up her spine as he settled his hand a little higher, sending sparks through her nerves. He smelled like bergamot and the sea.

"You didn't come for more secrets," he said softly, dipping his chin so that his mouth was near her ear as they swayed.

She was surprised he brought it up, and that he sounded disappointed― like he had waited up for her and gotten stood up. "I wanted to, but circumstances beyond my control kept me isolated in my room," she explained.

He was quiet for a beat, but he held her tighter against his chest and suddenly Elsine wasn't sure if she could breathe right. "Was everything alright? We didn't get you into trouble with the wine cellar raid?"

She smiled, her lips brushing his ear as she told him, "No, you guys didn't get me into trouble. And everything is fine now." It was half a lie. The music started to slow, and he cursed under his breath.

"Can I tell Ander to bugger off?"

"No, you cannot, sir," she scoffed, stifling a giggle as she pulled back and saw his mock pout. His fingers lingered across her skin even as Ander cleared his throat. Elsine pulled his fingers away casually, turned to Ander, and curtsied.

"I guess I shall cut in now," he said and smiled, not sparing Kannon a glance. Elsine smiled back, ignoring the lingering look the roguish prince gave Ander― like he wanted to debate the statement. Or maybe punch him in the nose. She couldn't tell. But she half expected him to cause a scene. To her surprise, he chose to forego the drama and bowed out.

Taking Ander's hand, she shook her head as they began to waltz. "Sweet Ander, how is the evening treating you?"

To her delight, he blushed. It was a little thrilling to be the one causing the reaction instead of how she always felt like her face was on fire around Kannon. He smiled, revealing his dimples. "It is better now that I am out here with you, Elsine."

The princess thought he was adorable. This might not have sounded like a compliment if she said it out loud to him, though, considering he looked like he hadn't missed a day on the training field. But it was because he was sweet, and kind and it was the thing she liked most about him. "Such flattery this eve," she teased him, and he laughed.

"And more to come I imagine since you look like a goddess." Now she laughed and let him spin her. He changed the subject, "Did you enjoy dancing when you were young?"

They raised their hands as they both stepped in, chest to chest, and then stretched their arms between them when they stepped back out. She half shrugged as he brought her shoulder into his chest, and they followed other couples on a circular promenade. "Not until I was a little older, I had wanted to play outdoors instead. My governess was beside herself."

The answer seemed to please him as they slowed and she turned to face him again, his hand at her waist. "I bet we would have gotten along."

She lifted her chin and smiled. "I would have to agree."

As their dance slowed, Hamish tapped Ander's broad shoulder. "May I?" 

Ander nodded, placing a soft kiss on Elsine's hand before he left. She smiled at Hamish and bowed her head before they started into a more upbeat dance. She had forgotten that he was quite skilled at dancing, and they laughed as they skipped and hopped together. When there was less movement he asked her, "I trust you are having a good time, and that the lads are behaving?" She noticed the pointed look he gave her, and how he seemed nervous.

"I am, and they are― mostly." She smiled, teasing and hoping he would feel more comfortable. 

He nodded emphatically. "Good, good." They exchanged small talk, but they focused more on the dancing. That was fine with the princess, even though she wished they had still been talking when a particularly jaunty part of the dance came around and she saw a flash of his freckled arse.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**