Chapter Fifty-Seven

Now that her room was empty of guards the princess checked the window again. She chewed her lip wondering if someone had seen her escaping to and from Dare's home. Perhaps this was a warning to spook her and make sure she knew they had seen her. Whatever motive they had to plant the blank note, it had succeeded in fraying her nerves.

Terwyn came in, rushing to Elsine's side to grasp her hands. "When they told me someone had been in your rooms I―" she shuddered, stopping midsentence like finishing the thought would bring whatever fate she had imagined to fruition.

Elsine squeezed her fingers and assured her, "I am alright. It would be better to forget the whole thing entirely, so I will need you to do your best work today Terwyn." She tried to smile encouragingly at her lady's maid. The princess desperately needed to focus on the ball and not on threats if she were to survive the next couple of nights.

Terwyn's dark eyes lit up. "You got the dress."

Elsine nodded, walking to the armoire. Pulling out the dress that looked like it had been woven from a perfect summer's starry night, she swallowed the threat of tears. She wanted to thank Terwyn for choosing it for her. Because it felt like her mother had personally gifted it even though she was gone. Terwyn had been her mother's maid and friend, so Elsine knew she could count on her choice. She knew that wearing this dress to the Summer Solstice Ball would make her mother happy.

Her lady's maid clasped her hands together at the sight of the dress, her eyes misting. "You will be as beautiful as she was." She hugged the princess and Elsine held on for as long as she dared, but when she pulled away it seemed it was time for business. Terwyn worked with Elsine's curls, pulling out a golden brush from the satchel she had brought in, but the princess hadn't seen. Elsine raised a brow. "An enchanted brush gifted to your mother at her wedding." She pulled the brush through a section of Elsine's golden waves, and they pulled away in thick, rolling curls that glittered like they had gold spun in the very fiber. The princess's eyes widened.

"It's magnificent."

"After we doll you up, your court and those princes will want to do nothing but bow to you the entire night." The princess turned a surprised look on her maid who looked very devious as she vowed to make her irresistible. They giggled and Elsine watched in awe as each stroke of the brush transformed her curls. Usually, for formal balls, ladies would sweep their hair up into magnificent twists and daring braids but for this event, anything could be done so Terwyn left the curls down, only sweeping up little strands at the sides into tiny diamond clips that looked like stars.

She looked pleased with her work and moved on to makeup. Elsine eyed the miniature tubs of glowing gold powders and the assortment of rouge for her lips and cheekbones. In a way that was more about art and feeling than looking regal, Terwyn brushed the glowing gold dust over Elsine's eyelids and up her browbone, lining her lash line in charcoal. She pressed real, delicate flakes of gold over her cheekbones and some sunset pink dusted on top. She painted her lips with a similar pink but pressed more gold over them. The finishing touch was some black mascara which she also gently dusted with gold glitter.

Elsine looked in the mirror and stared. She didn't use makeup normally, even on her outings or at the welcoming ball. Little touches mostly, but this made her feel like she was a walking piece of art. She looked at the dress, more than excited to put it on. She hoped she looked like her mother at least a little bit. Terwyn tossed the oddly shaped corset Elsine had pulled out to wear under the dress back into the armoire.

"You won't need that with this dress." She motioned her over and helped her undress. Elsine slipped on the lace undergarment but it would be the only thing she had to wear under the dress. She was thrilled by that fact, even if the freedom from so many layers made her a tad nervous. Terwyn carefully helped the princess into the gown and arranged the perfectly placed shifts of fabric. At the back, she clasped the chain of diamonds that swept across her open back and dangled down her spine. The fabric split at each of her thighs and clung just right to her curves, panels that started just above her belly button ran up over her breasts and attached to the gauzier fabric that wrapped low on her shoulders and came up to wrap around her neck. Elsine almost giggled at the feeling of almost being naked. Terwyn looked her over once, her eyes glistening as she turned the princess to the mirror.

Elsine couldn't breathe. She had never felt as pretty and free as she did at that moment. "I'm―"

"A dream, my lady," Terwyn finished, looking proud. She squeezed her hand. "And as beautiful as your mother." She moved to her satchel and removed a velvet box, bringing it over and opening it for the princess to see. Inside, sat a delicate golden crown woven like vines and decorated with tiny diamond flowers. It gleamed even in the low light of the room. Terwyn pulled it out of the box and gently set it on the princess's head, securing it in her hair. "The finishing touch, my queen." She bowed, and Elsine stared at this transformed version of herself that looked like she belonged on a throne despite how afraid and twisted she felt inside. She lifted her chin and blinked away the burn of tears. She would make her mother proud.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**