Chapter Forty

Terwyn had been right. A bath, a few bites of toast, and sips of water had made the princess feel better already. She still felt like she had been listening to a banshee scream for hours for how her head ached, but at least she wasn't puking anymore.

Walking through the halls to the king's rooms, she did her best to smile at those she passed. She made sure to acknowledge the elders as she went― some smiled and others looked down their noses at her. Elsine didn't care what they thought of her or even if they liked her. The only opinion she truly cared about was her father's. Her stomach twisted as she came to the door.

The burly faun that stood outside bowed his head, "Princess Elsine, your father, our king, is waiting for you." She nodded, wishing she could remember the guard's name so she could thank him properly. But her head was throbbing, making it hard to think. She kept quiet instead, opting for a grateful smile, and followed him through the doors. The hall to the door of the king's chamber was short, but the princess felt as if she were falling through a rabbit hole for how nervous she was that he knew of her late-night wine cellar party or worse― about Darius.

The guard assumed a post outside the door after opening it for the princess who slipped inside. The door shut behind her and she folded her hands in front of her torso, curtseying.

"You sent for me?"

The king stood from where he had been seated behind a large desk. "Yes, I am sorry to wake you early on a day when you would be resting before another outing, but this could not wait." Elsine straightened, wringing her fingers nervously at his serious tone.

"Are you― okay?" Her voice faltered, suddenly scared he had received more bad news about his health. She studied the shadows under his eyes that had always been such a bright, crystal blue, like her own, and she noticed that the pallor of his skin was a bit pale. But not once did his shoulders slump or his gait shudder as he moved toward his daughter.

"I am fine, Elsi. Assuming you are asking about my health. But I called you here to discuss a bit of troubling news," he sighed, crossing his arms. "Normally I would not trouble you with rumors, but I cannot keep you safe if you are kept in the dark. A courier from a nearby village was entrusted with a letter to deliver to my spymaster. It was vague, but clear, that there is a rat in the castle. They warned that this traitor means to undermine Summer and to find ways to discredit you."

Her stomach roiled again and Elsine pressed her hand to it as if she could physically stop the sensation. Hamish had told her that secret, and the very next morning this. She swallowed the acid in her throat, her voice rough, "Someone has organized a mutiny before the crown has even touched my head?"

"Possibly. It could be something small or even just one person trying to rile the courts for drama during your courtship. As king, I must take every threat seriously, even if I do not know if it is true. This is why I must also tell you― so you are not caught off guard." She nodded, knowing what he said was right even if she would rather not feel so sick over a possible betrayal by those close to her. She hated to question the integrity of the four princes after they had been so kind to her. The king squeezed Elsine's shoulder. "My spymaster will be watching out for any more threats, but I just need you to be careful."

The princess nodded again, glancing up at her father. She wished it were okay for her to break down and cry or to ask for a hug as she used to when she was a girl. But she was to be queen, and she couldn't have her predecessor thinking she was unfit. Even though it felt as if her people already thought so. Clearing her throat she lifted her chin, assuring him, "I will be. May I return to my chambers to rest now?"

The king looked concerned, but he nodded. "You may."

"Thank you, Father." She curtseyed and turned to leave. Her feet took her gracefully out of the king's chambers and then around a corner to one of the many hallways rarely used by courtiers. Then her feet took her faster down the hall until the stress hit her. She pressed her back into the stone wall, muffling her tears in her hands.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**