Chapter Twenty-Seven

Elsine wanted both to run away from and fall into whatever this feeling was. Feeling frozen under his gaze, the words caught in her throat. She pulled nervously at her fingers. The servants were talking about her, gossiping to any ears that would listen it seemed. A sick feeling settled in her gut. What if someone had seen her and Kannon?

"What are they saying?" She asked, her eyes dropping away from his.

"Just little things about the outings. The maids' drone on and on about how handsome Kannon or Ander are. Others talk about Conor," he paused, shifting on his feet. "They seem to think you are smitten and are making bets on who the future king will be."

Heat rose from her chest into her face, annoyed about the gossip. She looked at Darius. "I am so very happy that I can amuse everyone," she clipped. Trying to move around him, her heart felt heavy with confusion and ached for her mother. He stopped her, his hand catching her arm.

"Elsi." He tugged gently at her. She turned her face further from his view, tears pricking at her eyes. She hated all of this. There were days it seemed fun, exciting even, but when she was submerged in the heavy waters of expectation, she felt like she would drown. To have people making light or gossiping only added what felt like shackles to her ankles. "I don't mean to upset you."

"Well, you have," she sniffed. This time when he tugged her, she didn't protest, turning toward him as he brought her into a hug. Her crystal blue eyes widened, tears gathering at her lashes. She pressed her cheek over his heart, surprised by how it hammered under the warmth of his skin. She slipped her arms around his torso and closed her eyes tightly, a few tears slipping over her cheeks. He smelled like cedar and earth with a hint of cinnamon somehow.

"I'm sorry. I know this whole thing is hard for you. I have no right to be frustrated by it."

She hugged him a little tighter for his apology. It was enough to put to rest her worries about the gossip. For now. She pulled back, keeping her hands anchored at his ribs. "Do you― Darius, what did you mean earlier? About. . . feelings." Her cheeks felt hot, but she forced herself to keep looking in his eyes.

"I don't know if I should answer," he replied cautiously, looking nervous and like he might bolt out the window. It reminded her of the boy she used to know. The one who was just himself, not overconfident. Shy maybe, but so very kind. She started to pull her hands away, thinking he would keep his secrets. But his fingers caught hers as they brushed along the hard lines of his ribcage. "Unless my queen commands it," he whispered.

Her heart raced at his words. It meant everything that he would acknowledge her as such in a moment like this. Like she was both his friend and his queen. That she didn't have to split herself in two for him to stay. His hands were wrapped around hers, hanging in the small space between them as he waited for Elsine to give her answer. She smiled softly. "I would very much like to know, Dare."

He brought her hands to his heart, pressing them there as his thumbs worked slowly over her skin. Feeling the way his heart raced under her palms made her own speed up. Elsine wasn't sure she had ever stopped to notice what a beautiful male he was. She had always seen past it to his heart, but the way his dark hair gently curled at his temples and fell over his forehead tugged at her heart. His raven black lashes were the perfect contrast to the silver grey of his eyes. She caught herself looking at the sharp, masculine curve of his lips and took in a breath, forcing her gaze back to his eyes. His lips parted, seeming to study her right back and it took every ounce of her strength not to hide her face from him.

"I thought that maybe my jealousy was just about the time you were spending with others instead of me. Or the fact that I wanted to punch any of those princes simply for gazing at you was nothing but being a protective friend," he explained, shaking his head a bit. "But then, it felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest when I walked past the ballroom and saw how you and Kannon danced. And then when you were leaving for the picnic, the stolen glances and seeing you blush― I think I realized I wanted you to look at me like that."

Her pulse was pounding in her neck, hearing the things he had felt and seen. Elsine didn't know what she could say, or what she should do. Her mind was reeling with thoughts of what a queen would do. How would she handle a situation like this? But her heart tugged and pulled at her chest toward Dare. In her gut, however, a heavy pit started to form. She couldn't ever give him her heart. He wasn't a lord or a prince. With no title he had no worth to the crown― even if he meant the world to the one who wore it. She suddenly wished she hadn't asked him to tell her. It would have been easier if she didn't know. Standing there and looking into the eyes that had always seen her she felt her heart quaking inside her chest.

One corner of his mouth tilted sadly. "If you are going to reject me, please get it over with so I can remember my place." He was teasing, but she saw through it. He had just laid out his heart and she was the one holding the executioner's axe.

"I'm sorry, Dare, I just didn't expect this," she whispered, still processing his words and piecing together the odd ways he had acted the few times she had conversed with him during the previous weeks. What she did know was true― she cared for him. And a lot like he had just described to her, she started to understand why she had noticed his broad shoulders or started to blush when talking to him. She knew why her heart warmed at the thought of him and wished to spill her secrets to him over everyone else. She blinked, her head clearing. "I care for you too."

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**