Chapter Nineteen

Elsine's luck had stretched until she reached her room after the rendezvous with Kannon. Safely in her room, she had changed into her night clothes and slipped under the covers, but sleep evaded her. For hours she lay awake, brushing her fingers over her lips and blushing. Tossing and turning with all the excitement still coiling in her tummy, but along with it came the guilt. And even though it was small she couldn't help but wonder if she had made a mistake.

She wasn't sure she had. Not in the way of her heart, but rather for her kingdom. It was still early in the courtship, and she wondered if she had moved too quickly. Sighing she pulled the covers tightly under her chin and as the thoughts tumbled in a never-ending motion, around and around, Elsine finally fell asleep.

The next morning, she was jolted awake by the curtains being drawn and the bright sun streaming right into her face. Scrambling upright she squinted, frowning.

"I've let you sleep in long enough, Princess. Time to get up if you are to be presentable for your group outing!" Terwyn announced, not looking at Elsine as she drew her a bath. Elsine groaned, her stomach making an obnoxious sound. Terwyn glanced over her shoulder. "Breakfast will be here in but a moment. Come now, into the bath you go."

Elsine pushed her messy waves out of her face, her other hand clutching her abdomen. It wasn't that she was hungry, but the noise was telling of her nerves. She tried not to let on that she was guilty or nervous because Terwyn would know and pester her. Elsine couldn't afford for anyone to find out about the night before. Not only for her sake but Kannon's. As she bathed and was dressed, she tried to figure out whether she was relieved that today was a group outing or not. Her cheeks heated because she would have to face Kannon― with the others present. She bit back a curse.

Terwyn buttoned the back of her dress that stopped just above her ankles in gossamer layers embroidered with delicate little flowers and vines in the sky-blue fabric. The sleeves were light and sat in a cloud-like manner around her elbows. She was pleasantly surprised by the choice of dress today because it felt less formal, which Elsine liked. Terwyn simply braided two small sections of her hair back into a half-up style that let her golden waves hang down her back. And she set a delicate gold chain necklace with a single dangling opal against her skin.

Elsine smiled and thanked Terwyn as she left. Sitting on the settee closest to her window she put on her wrap slippers and tied the little bows at the backs of her ankles. There was a soft knock at her door, and her father slipped inside when she called for him to enter. The princess stood and went to hug him.

"How are you, Elsi?"

She smiled at him, "I am well." Her smile faltered a bit, thinking about how he had not escorted her to the outing with Conor and she tilted her head. "How are you, father?"

"No need to worry about me, I am alright. Let's get you to your outing. I will not be accompanying you, but there will be guards escorting you and the lords." His face was unreadable, and Elsine thought he looked sad. She wished he would tell her how he really was, or why he was not going with them, but she knew if she asked, he would scold her.

He walked her out to the courtyard where there was a carriage waiting, and the princes stood in a semi-circle conversing politely. Elsine was about to walk over, steeling herself when Darius walked around from the other side of the carriage. He paused, looking like he was about to greet her, but some kind of wall slipped into his eyes as he simply bowed and addressed her. He left without a glance back and Elsine's chest ached a little. She knew things were going to change, but that had felt so cold and distant. She wasn't sure if she was ready to be Darius' queen instead of his friend.

"Elsine! You truly are a vision," Hamish called out, and when the princess turned to look at him, she realized he had come closer.

Bowing her head gracefully she tried to put on an easy smile. "Thank you, Hamish." Her gaze swept over the other three, Conor's reassuring smile set her nerves at ease, but they jumped around frantically when she could only meet Kannon's eyes for a moment. She tried willing her cheeks to cool. Ander picked up her hand in a gentle sweep and pressed a feather kiss to her knuckles and she felt the heat suffuse her neck.

She brought her hands back to fold in front of herself. "You all look very well." Her eyes bounced to Kannon again, wishing for that moment that the sun would stop making his eyelashes look like gold. Or that she had a fan to hide behind to escape the intensity of his eyes. Clearing her throat, she looked at the carriage and moved toward the step to seat herself, "What adventure is in store for us this day?"

"A picnic at the falls," Kannon answered as his hand came to the princess's waist, steadying her as she climbed into the carriage.

Trying not to let on how his simple touch sent heat through her, she sat down and crossed her wrists in her lap, smiling, "Well, don't keep me waiting, lads."

**Editing Kylie R. Trask 2022**