Chapter Twenty-Three

When they returned to the picnic blanket after Ander had taken his seat again, Elsine had not been able to ignore those piercing jade eyes any longer. Turning her head shyly toward Kannon, the princess inclined her head, "Shall we?"

One corner of his mouth lifted as he stood, excusing himself as he stepped over the others. When they were a fair distance away, she felt his long fingers slip around hers. About to ask him something polite to pretend his touch didn't send her heart racing, the words were stolen by a startled laugh as he took off― pulling her toward the forest. She grabbed a handful of her skirts so she could keep up, and her golden hair flew out behind her.

By the time they entered the trees Elsine was breathing deeply, but Kannon gave her no time to catch her breath. He pulled her around, so she was in front of him and he was grinning so boyishly down at her with his wild curls askew that she could not stop the way her smile grew. Nor could she have stopped how honestly her crystal-blue eyes shone with the way he made her feel. Like she was free. Like she had no crown that weighed her down. As if they were simply two people sneaking away from an ordinary picnic in the meadow.

He pressed her back into a tree, stealing her breath. Lifting their intertwined fingers, he rested them against the tree as his other arm stole around her waist. Elsine inhaled quickly and let out a breathless laugh as her cheeks pinked, "You caught me."

"I think you let me, little mouse." He smiled, speaking softly as his gaze swept down her face.

"Disappointed?" Elsine asked, teasing him. Warmth tingled down her arm from the lines he was drawing along her wrist with his thumb. A deep laugh came from him. It vibrated in his chest where it echoed into hers in such a lovely way that she lifted her hand to the curls hanging at his temple, watching as she wrapped them around her slender fingers.

He stilled, and Elsine could feel the heat of his gaze still on her face as he replied, "Not at all."

She had decided that she wasn't going to look at him or else be caught up in the intense jade of his eyes, but when he spoke in such a gentle way, she couldn't help herself. His arm tightened around her until the little clouds of fabric from the bodice of her dress brushed the front of his tunic. Blinking her eyes away from how close they were back to his face, her heart started to race at how close his lips were again. For the love of Mab, I've got as much resolve as a red cap on a battlefield of foes. She berated herself, though her thoughts were muddled as his nose danced with hers, almost like he was trying to fight the same battle.

Gulping as her eyelashes started to flutter, Elsine watched his eyes which looked so conflicted. With her heart hammering into her ribcage, she let herself do what her fingers had been itching to do for a while, and slowly buried them deeper into his soft mass of curls. She watched, full of curiosity and butterflies as his eyes closed. He took in a deep breath as he leaned into her touch. She wasn't sure what he was thinking. "Kannon?"

He made a frustrated sound at her saying his name, moving to press her into the tree as he let go of her hand. "This is quite unfair of you, you know?" He brought his thumb to trace the fullness of her bottom lip as his eyes opened; their eyelashes almost touching as she looked up into his eyes. She blinked once, unsure what he meant, but for some reason, it made her blush so much she started to pull her hand away from his hair. When it had dropped to his jaw, his hand caught hers, guiding her fingers down his neck to rest on his shoulder. "Don't go away."

Elsine didn't plan to go anywhere, wanting to stay right then and there where her pulse pounded through her, and she was almost driven mad by the minimal distance left between them. "I'm not," she whispered to reassure him though it was plain to see on her face. Unable to take the distance anymore she moved her hand to wrap the back of his neck. "Kannon?" She spoke his name again, the longing she felt slipping into her quiet voice.

"Elsine, I swear, if you keep saying my name like that," he groaned, bringing his hand to her neck.

She couldn't help but feel the thrill to hear how what she said or did, affected him. Biting back a smile she pulled at his neck to bring him closer. "What will you do, Kannon?" She wanted him to make the move; she wouldn't ask him to kiss her― though she felt like begging because she wanted his mouth on hers so badly.

His lips parted, lights playing in his green eyes. Elsine waited for him to make a smart retort or maybe that he would laugh. Instead, he leaned in without a word, kissing her as though they had just picked up where they left off in the library. A soft moan escaped from her against his mouth as he pressed her further into the tree with his body. Her arm moved to hook over his neck to banish any further distance. Elsine didn't understand why she was so drawn to him. It felt all-consuming. Like she couldn't think straight when she was with him. Intoxicating.

Only coming away for a moment, Kannon tilted his head the opposite way and pulled the princess back in for another deep kiss. Elsine's heart was pounding, kissing him back in between the breaths she could catch. He pulled back again; his breathing just as uneven. The princess didn't quite catch the cue as her chin lifted to search for him again. Blinking as a hot blush crept over her cheekbones she swallowed and tried to calm her breathing. His eyes mirrored the conflict she felt― wanting to continue kissing but unsure if they should.

"The others will wonder where we are," he stated, though it didn't sound like he cared to her.

Before she thought about her words, they were already leaving her lips, "They can wait a few moments longer." Leaning in, since they were still so close, she shyly kissed the corner of his mouth.

"I wish they would wait an eternity," he murmured, his eyes fixed on her pink lips. Letting go of her waist he dug his fingers into the hair at the nape of her neck sending pleasant shivers down her spine. The kiss that followed was softer than the princess had expected. It was such a slow and careful kiss. Elsine trembled. Kissing him back in the same manner sent her head spinning as his fingers curled further into her hair. When it ended, Kannon stepped away reluctantly. Elsine wanted to jump right back into his arms when she saw the deep blush that colored his cheeks, but she refrained only by the grace of the deities. He held out a hand to her, that slight smirk coming back to tilt his lips. Taking his offered hand, she bit her lip as she tried not to smile too hard. Taking small, reluctant steps to follow him back to the edge of the forest, the princess felt like she may have been floating.

**Editing Kylie R. Trask 2022**