Chapter Sixty-Four

"I feel sick. Is love not supposed to feel warm and full of light?" The princess asked her father who chuckled.

"Love is many things, my darling. It is normal to feel confused about the feeling in your situation. We are not privileged to fall into a blissful love as those with no title. At least not in the same way." His eyes crinkled, a knowing smile on his lips as he told her, "Don't let the tradition take away the magic. I was lucky to fall for your mother the way I did. I only hope the same for you."

She smiled, his words making her feel a little better. The problem was, however, that she wasn't falling for one person, but two. And one of them was a stable boy. But the bit about not letting tradition take away the magic hit a chord deep within her. "Thank you. I wish she was here." They didn't talk much about her, and Elsine sometimes wished they would. But she understood how painful it was for her father.

"I do too," he replied solemnly even though he smiled. "When you feel better, come back and join the party. Don't make your suitors wait too long for you."

"I won't," she promised. The king left, but she knew he had left a guard just outside the door.

There was some kind of magic between her and Kannon, she knew that much. Elsine's heart picked up happily in her chest. It gave her hope that maybe he felt the same. Running her fingers through her curls to make them fuller again and adjusting the fabric of her rumpled dress, she hurried off toward the second balcony. The guard at the door tried to follow her but when Elsine ducked and weaved through the crowd, he got lost in the revels and dancing.

As she moved through the ballroom, she looked for the roguish prince in the crowd. Their gazes caught across the dancefloor where he stood talking with Conor. Whatever he had been saying he stopped talking midsentence which caused Conor to glance her way. His dark eyes moved between the princess and Kannon, and he started to grin. A bright smile the princess couldn't quite stifle played on her lips, and her chest warmed. One of Kannon's brows rose as if in question, disappearing into his curls as a shy smile tilted his lips. Conor nudged him and Elsine started to slowly make her way to the balcony in hopes he would follow.

Outside, the night air was a welcome chill on her skin. There weren't many fey or nobles outside as most were inside dancing and drinking. She was glad about it. Elsine leaned her hands on the railing that looked out over the hills lit by velvet starlight and waited. She counted seconds to try and calm her racing heart, but as he came to stand beside her, the work she had done was worthless. She turned, resting her hip against the railing.

The wind blew through his curls as he offered her a glass of wine. "Well, fancy meeting you here, my lady." He winked, taking a drink of his wine as he turned his eyes to study the view she had been admiring. She caught the eye of a small group of courtiers, giving them a long look until they giggled amongst themselves and moved back toward the ballroom. 

"Fate," she replied, drinking her wine as she watched him smile.

He made a casual glance around the balcony before he turned fully toward her, their knees bumping as he was so close. "Why do I feel as though you have set a trap for me, little mouse?"

"Is it a trap if one walks willingly into it?" She mused, smiling behind her wine glass.

There was something unreadable in his small smile. "Depends." She doubted he would elaborate, but she liked the mystery, nonetheless. There was always something to figure out or to find out about him and she couldn't help but love it. His free hand came to his pin, his eyes sparkling like emeralds in the twilight as he spoke, "Thank you, by the way." She blushed and nodded, wanting to blurt out her feelings but she knew it was much too soon for declarations. He downed the rest of his glass, and the princess raised her brows at him. Setting it aside, he crossed his arms over his chest, and she was utterly distracted by the shimmer of gold as his muscles flexed in his forearms and abdomen. 

"Eyes up here, princess," he laughed.

She looked up, blushing madly but grinning as she accused him, "You knew what you were doing with that gold dust." She tipped back the rest of her wine and set her glass next to his.

"It was an accident. The container spilled." He smirked.

"I am so sure," she snorted and covered her nose with her hand.

His eyes lit up as he laughed under his breath, "And what is your excuse?"

"For?" She blinked innocently. Instantly, she regretted goading him when the heat of his gaze moved down the length of her body. A trail of the starry dust she was all too aware of had been brushed up the middle line of her torso. His eyes lingered and she felt the heat of his gaze through her entire body.

"Torture," he answered, his voice thick. She tilted her head like she had no idea what he meant, but with her rapid heartbeat and the buzz of the wine, she prayed she didn't faint away at hearing that she had affected him. He got to her so often, that it was a little thrilling to see him react to her in the same ways. 

His fingers reached, pinching the edge of one of the fabric panels that covered her chest. She watched him as he kept his eyes on his fingers, tracing the edge down to where it met the skirts at her waist. She caught his hand and guided it to her back, slipping his hand beneath the gauzy fabric billowing in the night breeze. The princess felt something pulling at her, gravitating toward him from the center of her chest. She stepped in, her fingers tracing down the lean, rigid muscle of his torso to the waistline of his pants. 

He made a low, rough sound, "Gods, Elsine."

Elsine was unsure if he liked her touch or if he was frustrated by it. She realized she shouldn't be so forward and went to pull her hand away, but he caught her fingers. She blinked up at him. He leaned his forehead to hers, his curls brushing her skin as he spoke quietly, "Please, never stop touching me." He flattened her hand back against his chest where she could feel the racing of his heart. Warmth spread from her fingertips to his skin― or was it the other way around?

Elsine caught up his other hand in her trembling fingers and flattened it over the pounding in her own that matched almost beat for beat. The fire she felt whenever she was with him grew like a living thing inside her until she felt she might be consumed by it. Their eyes were locked, and Kannon must have also felt the shift because his eyes widened― looking just as shocked as she felt. Their heartbeats synced, and a fiery, magical cord that could only be felt by them stretched and anchored between their hearts. Invisible but palpable. 

Warmth curled possessively around her heart as the bond blazed wildly. 

Soul Fire. 

The End

Read the second part of Elsine's story in book two!! The first few chapters are out now for 'The Honor Test'! <3 

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for reading and supporting this book!!