Chapter Forty-Three

Hamish had helped her into the carriage like a gentleman and then they set off into town. They were headed into town to take a leisure shopping trip through the marketplace by the docks. Elsine tried to make conversation on the ride, but she was having a hard time coming up with a subject. She had so much on her mind it felt almost impossible to put on a face and feign interest. 

"So, Hamish, what is something you do for leisure back home?"

He straightened the lapels of his jacket, smiling as he answered, "I enjoy hunting and a good poker game." The princess smiled politely though she imagined him smoking a cigar or shooting a poor creature and suddenly felt ill.

"And what do you enjoy, Elsine?" He asked, the high afternoon sun making his red hair bright like fire.

"Well, I love riding horses and when I have time, I enjoy books," she replied, thankful for the easier flow of conversation.

He grinned. "Both wonderful hobbies." Another stretch of silence. Elsine messed with the folds of her dress, smoothing them this way and that restlessly. What she wanted to talk to him about was the secret he had told her. She wanted to know who he was speaking of. Or if it had no relevance since he had been so drunk.

Exasperated she sighed as pleasantly as she could, settling her gaze elsewhere to look out over the countryside. She pretended to be comfortable in the silence. It seemed that Hamish was unbothered by the stretch of quiet. The rest of the ride to the docks was silent― broken up by the beating of the horses' hooves and the squeak of the wheels when they rolled over bumps in the road. When they arrived, the princess didn't wait for Hamish to help her out of the carriage and hopped down herself. He looked bewildered or troubled by this. Maybe both.

He cleared his throat and offered his arm. "Where to first, my Lady?"

Taking his arm, she glanced around at the bustling market. She would have been so excited to be outside the castle walls days ago, but with the looming threat to the crown, Elsine couldn't quite enjoy all the sights and smells. "Anywhere, but let's find something to eat soon," she suggested, realizing that it was lunchtime, and she hadn't eaten much of a breakfast.

"A baked goods cart it is." He leads the princess through the crowd. The sea of Seelie fey milling around the marketplace parts as they realize their future queen is among them. Elsine nods to each of them as they bow, hoping her smile isn't as strained as it feels. She used to love the markets as a girl― loving to interact with the people of her court. The people had loved her mother and revered her father, often offering gifts of their wares. Elsine had been warned as a child about some who offered gifts riddled with curses or a hidden promise. She had been taught to know which fey meant to gain something through such means from those who were loyal to the crown.

The humans that lived among the court were few, most with glazed expressions after being stolen into Tir na nÓg by a fey lover or some other trick. By the time they realized they had been taken after the magic of the land started to wear off, they couldn't go back. Too much time had passed, and the magic of the lands kept them young. Elsine pitied them, wishing there was some way to free them. Passing a woman with short, rounded ears and hollow, brown eyes the princess tried to give her a hopeful smile. The woman scowled and went back to what looked like candle-making.

Pretending not to be affected, she turned her chin back toward the path they walked. Soon the smell of baked bread and sweet pastries filled the air. The princess indulged in two pastries since Hamish insisted on buying her an extra one. The rest of the afternoon was pleasant as their conversation focused on the goods and he pointed out which were imported from his court. His business talk wasn't near as boring as she had anticipated and was intrigued by the wares he talked about. Elsine hoped, that when she inevitably sent him home, that the trade relationship between their courts would be unaffected.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**