Chapter Thirty-Four

On the ride back to the stables, Elsine was able to ask Kannon more questions about his life back home. She was pleasantly surprised that he answered her so easily. She learned that he was as much a troublemaker back home as he was here. He shared with her that he spent most days and nights among the people his family was trusted to govern. And that his best friend had to drag him home many nights after too much dancing and drinking. Her cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing so much, but she did wonder if this penchant for partying would continue after being crowned. If he was crowned. A king couldn't run away from his obligations. By the time they reached the castle grounds again, the sun had dried their clothes.

Dismounting, they slipped back into a formal tone and said goodbye. The guards escorted the princess through the barn toward the castle. Elsine knew that Terwyn would scold her for getting too much sun. The maid would probably shutter the windows in haste. But the princess was too happy to care. As they passed the last few stalls, she glanced over and caught Dare's steel gaze as he shoveled a heap of hay and manure into a wheelbarrow. Her heart squeezed when he looked away, hoping that she could get a chance to talk to him again soon. She needed to be clear about what could or could not happen between them and she had to know that he would be okay with those things. If not― Elsine's tummy twisted― she would have to let him go. She didn't want to hurt him, and this was the only way she could see that being avoided.

Entering her chambers, she shut the doors and flopped back on her bed. Not a minute passed and Terwyn breezed into the room.

The princess felt the maid's fingers pinch and pull the slightly crunchy fabric of her riding suit and tsk loudly, but when she came around to see Elsine's face her eyes widened in horror, "You are pinker than a newborn babe, Elsine!" She pushed her upwards and started to help her out of the clothes. The princess tried not to giggle as Terwyn did exactly as she thought she would― rushing to the windows and pulling the shades over them. "Sunkissed is one thing, but my dear if we do not treat this you will look like a lobster for the Summer Solstice Ball! Your father would have my head!"

Elsine pulled at the braid in her hair as Terwyn started to fill the bathtub with different oils and healing herbs. "I will not be a lobster," She smiled, shaking her head. "And Father would not think it any fault of yours, you are too good at watching out for me."

Terwyn's face reddened, but she smiled, "You are gracious, my Lady. Finish with those pins, I will be right back to have the tub filled with hot water." And just like that, she breezed out the doors again.

Elsine did as she asked, putting the pins on her dresser, and then unhooked her corset and slipped out of the cotton shift and bloomers. Her bare skin prickled as she wrapped herself in a soft robe and walked to one of her large windows. Looking out over the gardens toward the servant's housing she pulled away the curtain. She wondered if Dare would have a moment to talk tonight. Or if she could even get away from her chambers after her father had caught her coming back from his place. She doubted it. He would probably post more guards outside her room or in the halls.

Sighing, she stretched her bare leg out from the folds of the robe into the streaming sunlight of the setting sun. Even though she had been in the sun so much today, she still wanted more. She hated to be cooped up in the castle. She hated that the ladies of the court expected her skin to be porcelain and untouched. Before there were castles and nobility, the fey frolicked in the sun wearing nothing but their hair and the flowers of the countryside. Her cheeks blushed thinking how wonderful and freeing that would be.

Her gaze moved back toward the stables but caught on someone standing on the grounds below, looking straight up at her. Elsine froze, her heart just about jumping out of her because it seemed she had summoned him by pure thought. Darius took one slow step backward, his eyes seemed locked on her as his lips parted and his hands came to set on top of his dark hair. Gaining back some of her brains, the princess pulled her bare leg back, a mad blush chasing its way up her neck into her face. She tried to bite back the ridiculous grin that lifted the corners of her mouth, but it did no good, and then she was giggling. Starting to walk away from the window to hide from him she was glad she didn't miss the lopsided grin that tilted his lips or the way he ran his hands over his face before turning back toward the barn. She ran to her bed and pulled out a pillow to giggle like a maniac into.

Terwyn came back into the room at that moment, followed by others. Blinking at Elsine, she tsked and shook her head. The princess heard her muttering about teenagers and then sending up prayers to Mab and Titiana for help as she and the other maids filled her bath. The princess grinned into her pillow; not sure the deities would be any help in such regards.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**