Chapter Twenty-Eight

The moment of silence after Elsine had uttered the words stretched. Darius looked like he wasn't sure he had heard her as his eyes flicked between hers. The firelight cast shadows over the angles of his face, beside his mouth. The princess's heart ached as she whispered, "I do really care for you. . ."

Darius looked down at their hands. "But?"

She didn't want there to be a 'but' to that statement. She wanted to follow her heart more than anything, but she didn't know how confusing that could be. She cared for him. A lot. But she had a connection with Ander and Kannon that she was still figuring out. The real problem, however, was his status. No matter how much she didn't want to admit that. It was out of their control. Sighing heavily, she tried to drop her hands away. "I have a duty to the crown."

He kept hold of her hands as he studied the princess's face― looking confused though there was defiance in his eyes. "Don't you have time before that duty needs to be fulfilled?"

She had months ahead of her still. Elsine tilted her head as she fought with herself. She was courting four others anyways. And not by her choice. But this could be her choice. Could it hurt to explore what she felt with Dare before she had to get married? It probably would. Especially if she fell in love with him only to be forced to marry another. Defiance rose inside of her. She wished she could stop thinking and trying to rationalize. To just be whoever she wanted. And at that moment, Elsine pushed duty to the floor and took hold of that defiance. She needed to take something for herself before she sacrificed everything for the crown. With her heart racing, she pulled their hands to press above her heart, looking up at him. "Time might be all I can give you." Even as the quiet words left her lips, she was scared. She was letting herself hope, even if it was reckless.

"Then make every moment count, Elsi," he said softly.

In her heart, she pledged that she would, starting with this moment. Pushing down her apprehension, Elsine moved his hands over the soft curve of her shoulders, the billowy fabric of her wrap tunic shifting down her arms. She watched him as her heart hammered and her skin warmed. She had no idea what she was doing but she wanted to feel his touch― curious if it would ignite her. She needed to know in her heart that he wasn't just her friend anymore. His eyes followed where she guided his hands over her skin, feeling at ease when she saw the nervousness in his eyes. But when he looked back in her eyes, she shivered at the heat that simmered there.

Bringing his hands back over her shoulders to her neck he stepped in closer. His lashes lowered asking in a quiet voice, "Is this, okay?"

Feeling his breath against her lips she nodded, though her thoughts raced for a second wondering if this was a good idea. They held no power over her, however, as she was lost in the smoldering silver.

His head tilted, a breath away as he whispered, "And this?" He brushed a featherlight kiss over the princess's lips. Elsine's eyelashes fluttered, the light touch sent butterflies through her.

"Yes," she breathed, her hands slipping up his tanned forearms. When he bent his head again, it was a deeper, searching kiss. Her fingers tightened, wanting to pull him closer because she could feel that he was cautiously keeping distance between their bodies. But she was afraid of taking or giving too much so she only allowed herself to pull gently at his arms. Responding to her, Darius stepped forward as she stepped back. Lost in the slow dance the kiss had turned into, she took another step and he followed, their legs seeming to move of their own accord until her backside ran into one of the kitchen counters.

He broke away from her lips, leaving a few featherlight kisses on her cheek and jaw. Pulling back just enough to see her, he pressed his lips together, "If they find you gone―"

"Don't worry about that," she interrupted, not wanting to think about it herself.

He chuckled as he moved his hands down to her waist. "As my queen commands."

Elsine smiled, moving her arms to circle his neck as he pressed her back into the counter, "What a loyal and obedient subject you are, sir. I shall have to repay your kindness." Lifting on her toes she kissed his smiling lips, and he kissed her back with more confidence.

His grip tightened on her waist mid-kiss, surprising Elsine when he lifted her to sit on the counter. She felt out of breath, their movements natural as her arms rested on his shoulders and her chin dipped to kiss him deeply. Her eyes fluttered open to peek at him, making sure she wasn't imagining this. Her lips smiled against his next kiss when she saw the way his dark lashes fell across his cheeks. Closing her eyes again she held him close, sinking into the feeling of choosing him if only for this moment.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**