Chapter Six

"Did you like your suitors?" Darius asked. His gray eyes shifted to Elsine as he picked at the hay on the floor. The two had climbed into the barn loft to talk away from any prying eyes. It was mostly enclosed save for where it opened over the middle of the barn where they could drop the hay to distribute it easily between the horses. As children, they would hide there when the princess's governess came looking for her.

Smiling to herself she shrugged a shoulder, unsure how to answer that but she did blush a little at the thought of Ander and Kannon. She poked his forearm with a straw of hay thoughtfully. "Some of them more than others."

Darius was silent, only offering a nod in response. His fingers caught the straw and he pulled it away from her with a half-smile. Elsine wondered what he was thinking. He always had a way of keeping his thoughts to himself— his face a mysterious mask. She watched as his brow furrowed and his steely eyes studied the piece of hay like it was a fine gem. Leaning to bump her shoulder to his she smiled a little wildly at her friend, hoping to break through his serious mood.

"You can speak your mind Dare. Here, I am your friend and nothing more."

That earned a gentle smile from him, and he leaned back into Elsine's shoulder. "I know." He took a breath and glanced at her. "Just— they were polite to you, right? I couldn't stand knowing that they had treated you badly."

She almost snorted as she nodded her head. "They were polite." She thought of Hamish and rolled her eyes as she sighed, "Some a bit over the top, but I guess that is to be expected in this situation."

He grinned wryly, "They probably want so badly to impress you." Putting the back of his calloused hand to his forehead he spoke in his best imitation of Elsine's voice, "Tis such a chore to be wanted by four suitors! Whatever shall I do?"

Elsine's eyes sparkled as she laughed, throwing her head back. She had needed this— the laughter and the lightness. The comfort of a friend helped to calm the wave of emotions that the evening had brought to her heart. She was so very thankful for Darius and his steady presence in her life. The princess wasn't sure how she would survive without him.

"You are quite the actor," She quipped.

He let out a long sigh, "A dying dream."

"What a shame," She giggled. He shrugged, grinning at her for a moment before his expression sobered and he looked back to the hay.

"Thank you for coming to visit."

Elsine smiled though he wasn't looking at her. "Of course. I have missed you, dear friend." His eyes lifted to hers as a shy smile tilted his lips.

"And I you," he told her.

Breaking the drawn eye contact the princess stood and brushed the straw away that stuck to her trousers. "I should go back before my ladies' maid comes to check on me and finds me gone." Darius followed suit. She smiled and started for the ladder when he reached for her, pulling her into his chest.

Her eyes widened, blinking quickly. They had not hugged since they were children, and her hands stilled at his sides in her shock for a moment. Slowly slipping her arms around his waist she pressed her cheek to the middle of his chest. Warmth spread through her. It was stupid, but she was still surprised at the difference between hugging the boy she grew up with and the man he was now. Her cheeks flushed a little for liking how strong he felt even when holding her gently like this.

"Good luck, Elsi."

When he pulled back, his hands lingered on her arms, their eyes connecting. She smiled, "Thank you, Dare." Elsine tried to ignore the way her heart sped a little and stepped away, breaking the eye contact again as she started down the ladder.

He put his hands in the pockets of his trousers. She slipped back down the ladder and back to her chambers, hoping to beat any of her maids checking in on her.