Chapter Twenty-Five

"How did you know that you were in love. . . with Inara?"

It might have been too personal, but Elsine was so curious that the question slipped from her lips as soon as she and Conor had made it out of the earshot of the others. They settled on a log next to the water. He smiled; his almond eyes full of warmth as they looked off across the water. The princess couldn't help but watch the way his face lit up at the mention of the girl who had his heart.

"That's a funny question." He started to answer, and then laughed, "I mean, the answer is what is funny. It was the first time she told me I was, essentially, an idiot."

Elsine's brows rose. She thought she would like this girl if she had the chance to meet her. Resting her chin on her fist she tilted her head, "Oh?"

He shrugged. "I said something that spoke of my entitlement, and she was quick to call me out on it. I had never met someone willing to do that― let alone someone below my station. It gave me a glimpse into her heart." Conor's expression was reminiscent, "She was brave, fierce― beautiful. I think I loved her from then on because she brought out the best in me."

"That's beautiful," Elsine said softly, thinking that it must be such a wonderful feeling to be in love. She milled through the interactions with Kannon and Ander, wondering if there had been a moment similar to that. She wasn't sure there had been yet. She hoped for a love like that. They sat silently for a long moment, each in their thoughts until Conor looked over at her.

His dark brows lifted. "How are you doing through all of this? I would imagine it being overwhelming."

Elsine breathed a laugh, "That is one word to describe it."

"What are the others?"

"Nerve-wracking. Exciting. Confusing," She listed off, tossing a pebble into the river.

Conor nodded along with all of her words, smiling sympathetically. Taking a breath, he picked up a stone as well, turning it over in his fingers. "I don't envy you." Elsine shrugged, it was nice that he acknowledged the weight of her situation. She knew he, nor anyone else, would ever know the burden she carried. How could they? "If you don't mind my asking, do you truly feel strong connections with Kannon and Ander?"

Before she could train her face, a deep blush sprang into Elsine's cheeks. Conor's eyes widened as his lips parted which made Elsine laugh. He had reminded her so much of Leina at that moment it made her miss her friends.

"Yes." It was all that she could manage when she was blushing so much.

"Well don't hold out on me, Elsine, do tell." He grinned. "Since we are sharing stories of our love life, after all."

Her cheeks hurt from smiling as she teased, "I don't know if I should tell you anything. How am I supposed to know you won't go and flap your jaw to the boys? hm?"

His hand flew to his chest dramatically, "I thought we had a bond of trust! I would never betray my Queen."

Elsine shook her head, still grinning, "Alright, I guess I shall just have to trust you." He nodded to this, looking as excited as her friends had been when they pestered her with questions about the princes. It made her heart happy to have a friend in this, and she did trust him. Smoothing her skirts she focused on the embroidery, tracing it with her thumbnails, "I feel strongly for both of them, but in different ways. I don't know that it is love or anything. Ander is kind and humble and makes me smile. Kannon―" She bit her lip, blushing madly, "Is an adventure. Exciting and unexpected. He makes me feel free, somehow, in the middle of all of this."

It was almost like she could feel Conor's demeanor soften as he listened. It made Elsine wish very much that she had been blessed with an older brother. He was quiet and when he spoke, Elsine peeked over at him, wondering if he would tell her she was being silly. "You definitely feel different things for them both. I can hear it in your voice, but the only person who can decide what exactly those feelings are is you. Not the court. Not me. Not even the King."

She looked back at the water, mulling over his words. In a way, it was what she needed to be reminded of. That even with the protocols, the court rules, or even her father's opinion her heart would still choose. Nothing could stop that. She wasn't sure if she even could. But his words gave her confidence that she would be able to figure this out. She had to. She just hoped she didn't hurt anyone in the process.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**