Chapter Thirty-One

The day was warmer than Elsine had anticipated, and she wished she could take off the stuffy riding jacket she was wearing. Sweat started to form at her hairline, and she was thankful that her hair had been braided up around her head. Wiping it away with the back of her gloved hand she held tight to the reigns with the other. Luna prodded rhythmically down the trail beside Freckles and Kannon.

"You are uncharacteristically quiet," she observed, wondering what the prince was thinking with his jade eyes trained ahead.

Without looking her way, he smiled. "Am I?"

Narrowing her eyes she laughed, "No games today, cat. Tell me what is on your mind." Turning to look ahead, Freckles sidled closer with Kannon. He turned his grin on her. Looking at him from the corner of her eye she allowed herself a small smile in return.

Taking in a deep breath he rested his hands on the saddle horn, his broad shoulders dipped and swayed with the horse's movements. He looked very comfortable― seeming at home and unconcerned about the loose reign he had on Freckles. "Alright, little mouse, whatever you say. Today, and today only, I shall be at your mercy." She laughed, surprised by his easy surrender to her.

The rolling hills of the land surrounding the castle were lush with flowers and buzzing with dragonflies and pixies. Full of life. The guards were not far behind, but they seemed tired, leaning on their saddle horns while they kept a safe distance. Elsine raised a brow, leaning to say to Kannon, "I think we may have lucked out with relaxed company today."

He glanced back at them, his eyes lighting, "I do believe you are right. Think of all the things we could get away with." When he turned back to her there was a secret look in his gaze and the princess wondered what designs he may have had for the outing. Heat flashed up her spine creating instant sweat after the sun had been beating down on her back. She was glad for the lazy guards so that she could have a good conversation with Kannon― maybe even have some adventure. Before last night she would have evaded them at all costs so that she could steal a kiss even. Her ears burned. She didn't know what to feel. Her body buzzed in anticipation of the way Kannon's touch spread fire, but her heart was unsure where its loyalty lay. Elsine needed to figure that out before she kissed Kannon again.

"Now you are the quiet one."

Her head popped up. "Oh, I apologize, there's just―"

"A lot on your mind?" He finished for her, his brows raised gently, "I know, it's okay. I was only teasing."

Elsine was a little taken aback by the considerate statement. Most of their interactions had been teasing, but she liked this side of him because it made her feel relaxed. She smiled and pointed through the array of birch and cherry blossom trees. "There's a spring not far from here, why don't we ride over there and take a swim? I am dying in this heat." The princess fanned her pink face, not caring that to swim she would have to strip to her undergarments. The heat was more unbearable than the slight embarrassment of being in a state of undress.

"Lead the way." He slowed Freckles and half bowed with that wild grin that gave her butterflies.

They rode through the trees, and the guards did not say a word about them going off the path. At one point the princess couldn't hear their horses any longer. Looking over her shoulder she stopped Luna and blinked. "We lost them. How?"

"I have a secret," Kannon answered, looking guilty.

Elsine raised a brow, suddenly a little nervous. "Oh?"

"I may have slipped them some faerie wine before our outing. I told them that I wouldn't tell if they wanted a nap while we went off to have our chat."

"You amaze me." She shook her head, sitting back in the saddle. "You are a weasel. Do you always get exactly what you want?" When he started to smirk, she laughed, "Don't answer that."

"You're welcome." He sent her a wink, squeezing Freckle's sides to press her forward. Elsine followed with Luna, biting back a smile. Soon they were at the little pool the princess had known of since she was a child. It was small with the clearest blue water and while it was surrounded by trees, there was an opening in the canopies that allowed the reflection of the clouds to slip over the surface. She gazed around fondly, catching Kannon's open stare of awe at the secret place. His gaze slid to hers. "And now I think I should be thanking you."

"I would allow it," Elsine replied with a regal uptilt of her chin as she lifted her leg and dismounted Luna. She tied him loosely to a nearby tree and patted his neck as he bent his head to nip at the tall grass. Elsine pulled the small lunch that had been packed for them out of the saddlebags. Holding it up she smiled.

"Hungry?"

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**