Chapter Fourteen

"I was going to see a friend, if you must know," Elsine explained, trying not to let her face flame. Between his proximity and the way, he smirked down at her, it felt like she might catch fire. She wiggled to try and pull away from his grasp, but his fingers curled a little more around her wrist―keeping it trapped against the wall.

Kannon's head tilted to the side, his curls getting caught in his brows. "And here I thought you had come to see me. Disappointing," He teased, one side of his mouth kicking up.

Elsine blinked up at him, wondering if everything in his life was funny to him. Nothing unsettled him it seemed, and she envied that. Huffing she pulled at her wrist again. She wanted to be frustrated with him, but he was also exciting to her, and she enjoyed the games. She shouldn't, but here she was trying not to smile as she leaned her head back, lifting her chin and one of her delicate eyebrows at him, "And what were you doing in the hall on the opposite side of the castle from where you should be?"

A bit of her confidence shriveled when he chuckled, the sound seeming to dance right through her, "Would you believe me if I said I was admiring the art?" His lashes lowered as his jade eyes swept down over her face to her lips.

"No," She replied, hating the sudden breathless quality of her voice. But she didn't believe him for a second. He wouldn't just waltz over to the other side of the castle to see art, there were plenty of portraits and landscapes to admire where his guest chambers were─ her thoughts halted as she realized he wasn't referring to the paintings. Her chin lowered and her nose turned pink. "Kindly, let me go."

Elsine could tell he was enjoying this too much, but he did as she asked and released his hold on her wrist. It hadn't been uncomfortable for the princess; he hadn't harmed her. It had just begun to feel too comfortable to Elsine. And though he had released her, he didn't move―staying to block her exit. "Will you come to the library tonight?" He asked.

She thought about her answer, a moment of silence stretching between them. Elsine wanted nothing more than to find out what it was he had planned. She was so curious a 'yes' about to jump off her lips, but she pressed them together instead. Wrapping her cool fingers around the wrist he had held, she tried to forget the warmth of his skin against hers.

"Maybe." It was all she could get out, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of a definite answer.

His brows raised, "Promises, promises. Are you always so elusive, princess?"

She couldn't help but smile now, "I don't know what you mean."

"There you go again." He laughed, revealing a deep dimple beside his mouth.

Elsine tilted her head, stepping a little closer, hoping that by some possibility she could startle him enough so that he moved. "You really do enjoy a game of cat and mouse, don't you?"

He didn't move, his jade eyes lighting as his mouth curved, "As long as I'm the cat."

An un-lady-like snort escaped her, looking up at him with an amused smile. She needed to get out of this alcove. All she wanted to do was figure him out. But she doubted Kannon let most people get close enough to try. And right now, if they were caught there could be serious repercussions. Not only for Kannon. Moving to try and push past him, his hand came to press against the wall. Turning to him, her brows pulled down in defiance. She was about to tell him to move or she would make him but her bluster evaporated under his gaze. He was so close to her, their noses so close that moving too much would result in awkward bumping.

"Leaving so soon?" He asked, looking quite amused by her efforts. Despite herself, her eyes dropped to look at his mouth. It was unfair for any male to have such beautiful lips, she thought.

"Yes. You know if we are caught here without permission―" She stopped at the unbothered look on his face. She was pretty sure he didn't care.

"What?"

"There will be consequences!" She hissed, annoyed by his blasé attitude. He may not have much riding on the Summer Court, but for Elsine, everything was at stake. She had to make her mother proud. She had to take care of her father. She had to be the Queen the entire realm needed, and it was starting to feel like a mountain on her shoulders.

"I doubt the consequences for the only heir of Summer will be much," He said, an unreadable expression on his face, but it was quickly chased away by that smirk. "Besides, we are having so much fun."

"Is everything in your life a game?" She asked, letting out an exasperated breath. She loved games just as much, but Kannon could run circles around her.

He paused to think about that for a moment but shrugged. The smile on his face suggested that answer was yes. Her fingers wrapped around his arm as she pulled it away from the wall and put it back at his side. This time he let her by, but he wasn't far behind and so she looked back at him.

"Go back to your chambers, Kannon, before you lose that pretty head of yours."

He stopped, his brows raising into his curls. Her blunt warning had the desired effect. Giving a small bow he smiled mysteriously, "As you wish." Thankful he was going to let her go, Elsine headed back for the servants' entrance and as she went to open the door, she heard him say, "I hope you enjoy your reading in the library."

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**