Chapter Fifty-Four

The guards hadn't been sure of her request at first, but after informing them she would not be denied as their queen they had nothing more to argue. She waited, brushing through her hair. Soon her friends, along with a few other maids, came carrying her bathwater. The others left and Elsine's friends set their buckets down, rushing in for a group hug.

"Elsi, it feels like we haven't seen you in ages!" Leina whined, pulling back to look at the princess more closely. The shadows under her eyes left no doubt that she had gone to bed at a late, or rather, early, hour. Her dark brows pulled together as Feyer poked the princess in the side.

"I'm sure the princess has been too busy snogging for the likes o' us!" Elsine's face flamed a brilliant red which made Feyer's green eyes widen. "Oh, she 'as!"

Leina clapped her hands excitedly. "Who is the best at it? Oh, tell us everything."

The princess felt her heart lurch and her smile falter. Her friends exchanged a look as she helped them fill the bath. Terwyn would have thrown a fit, but Elsine needed to do something with her hands. And she didn't mind doing something for herself.

"I haven't kissed them all," she clarified. "And I don't know that I could say one is better than the other. Both make my head spin." She blushed again as she thought first of Kannon and then more vividly of Darius. Her thoughts then settled on how she and her stable boy had chosen each other. 

Blinking her thoughts away, Elsine disrobed and slipped into the bath as her friends seated themselves on the settee. They had grown up together, so being naked around them did not bother the princess. She leaned her head on the edge of the tub and looked over as Feyer spoke, "Do you know who you will send home at the ball?"

The princess was thankful for the subject change and nodded. "Yes." She couldn't tell her friends who or why. It would be considered secret information, and if it were shared with maids before the prince himself it would be a grave offense. Elsine couldn't afford the possibility, even if she believed her friends would never tell another soul what she said to them.

Leina's smile was soft, "It is good you know that. It should make things easier." Elsine didn't know whether to laugh or cry in response to that. If only.

"One would think," Elsine sighed, her eyes closing.

Feyer tsked. "Since we cannot talk about 'im― the one you are sending home. Tell us about what you think of Kannon?" A fire sparked in her eyes as she smirked. "I saw him walkin' the halls. Looks like a real mount, that one!"

Leina snorted, covering her nose and mouth, "Feyer!"

Elsine slipped down, her laugh blowing loud bubbles in the bathwater. She shouldn't have been surprised by the word her friend had used. She coughed, giggling, "You have no idea."

"I will if you tell us! Come on, Elsi, any detail will do." She grinned, not looking the least bit embarrassed by her blatant questioning.

Elsine grinned back― she had missed them dearly. Leina shook her head but didn't object, leaning on her elbows like she too was morbidly curious. The princess almost laughed again to think of how Kannon would feel to be talked about like this. He'd smirk like a fiend. "He is a pain in the ass. Skilled in everything having to do with his mouth." But as soon as she said it her face flamed at the implication. She started to clarify but Leina gasped and Feyer grabbed Elsine's arm.

"Where did it happen?!" Feyer squealed.

Leina looked surprised and wary. Trysts and seduction were not smiled upon during a courting. She had shared heated moments with the prince, but nothing more. Sex was forbidden so that an unwanted heir could be avoided, especially if it were by a suitor that would not be king. And obviously, the rule was not foolproof.

Elsine sat up and held up her hands. "No, no! I just meant he is wonderful at kissing―" when Feyer giggled, the princess splashed some water at her friend. "On the mouth! And he teases me incessantly," she huffed.

Leina blew out a breath, "What a relief. You know that such a thing would get Elsine in trouble, Feyer. Don't encourage her." She shook her head and Elsine had to look away from her friend because she might not have slept with any of her suitors, but she had with Darius. Someone without a title. It was practically tempting fate. The princess smiled a little realizing that she didn't care. Perhaps she should.

Feyer looked disappointed but nodded. "Well, that's no fun, but I guess you are right."

Leina smiled and leaned on her knees. She brushed her dark hair behind her ears as she asked Elsine, "He makes you laugh, doesn't he?"

The princess's smile grew. "Yes. We have good fun together. Even when I have been bogged down by the stress of the Summer Court, he always seems to make me smile."

Her friends looked like that was the best thing they had heard in a long while. They continued to pester her with questions, mostly silly ones, but it was good for Elsine's heart to confide in them and to laugh with them. All too soon their time was up as they were needed elsewhere in the castle, but they helped the princess get dressed and gave her one last hug before they left her in her room. And even though she hadn't mustered the courage to ask them what they thought love was, Elsine felt a little stronger knowing she would have them to support her as she had to keep making choices in her life. At least one would keep her head on straight and the other would help her not to take everything too seriously.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**