Chapter Fifty-Six

A cool breeze made the hairs on Elsine's neck raise― waking her from her dreamless sleep. Rolling to her back she looked around her room. The fire had reduced to glowing embers casting a soft glow in the dim hours of the morning. Her eyes were still heavy with sleep but the billowing drapes of one of her windows caught her attention. She rubbed at her eyes. The princess didn't remember leaving the window open. Perhaps Terwyn had come in to check on me and had opened it? Shifting to sit up she remembered that there was the suspicion of a threat to the crown and fear gripped her heart.

"Guards!" She called out loudly, her voice still hoarse from sleep. She was afraid to move or investigate any part of her room by herself. They swept in immediately with weapons drawn. She clutched her duvet to her chest.

One she knew as Jurin, a burly faun with blue eyes and graying hair. Her father's guard. He had been around when she was small. He looked at her. "What is the matter, my lady?" The other guards started to search the room.

Elsine pointed to the window and explained, "I did not leave a window open when I went to bed. Did Terwyn come by my rooms?"

"No," he answered and went to the window. "If someone was here, they are gone now." He paused on his way back across the room, his eyes catching on something Elsine hadn't been able to see in the dim light. A wax-sealed letter had been set on the table that sat in front of her settee. "Get the royal seer. Nobody moves this until she can tell us if it is cursed."

~~~

Elsine clutched her robe close to her chest as she watched the hooded woman study the letter where it lay on her table. The princess felt like she was waiting for her doom. King Ulrich crossed his thick arms over his chest, he had come straight from bed― donning a thick maroon robe, his thick waves resting at his shoulders.

"I see no curse, but whatever is written within could still be poison," She spoke the whispered warning to the king, but one of her pale silver eyes caught on the princess when she glanced over her shoulder. Elsine shivered involuntarily.

"I will open it," the king demanded.

"Father―" Elsine stood, her eyes widening in fear. She would have to lose him when his illness took him from her, but the thought of this threat stealing what little time they had left made her eyes sting. If the letter was cursed, it could be in a myriad of ways.

He held up a hand to his daughter. "Silence. I am king, if they want to threaten the crown, or you, they must go through me first." The seer bowed her head and stepped away. The guards held their swords at the ready, though the princess didn't know what weapons could do against a curse. King Ulrich picked up the envelope gingerly and everyone stilled. Elsine breathed when nothing seemed to happen. He opened the letter and pulled out a thick paper card, whatever he saw made his lips thin as he flipped the card over. Looking around the room his eyes blazed. "It is blank." He handed it off to the seer. The princess looked around at everyone's confused faces and her cheeks reddened wondering if they thought her foolish. Or worse, if her father was angry for the false threat. For all she knew it had been left by her friends by accident when they were here. "Take it back to your den and see if there might be invisible ink or other wards keeping me from reading it. Report your findings to me immediately. Preferably before the festivities begin tonight."

Elsine's heart hammered at her ribs. She wished she was only nervous about sending someone home or suffering from butterflies at the thought of what kind of debauchery Kannon might bring her tonight. But this sick, twisting dread in her belly was not related. Someone had gotten in her window. Or something. She swallowed at the thought of their courts enemies sending something like a Bodach after her. She shivered and looked desperately at her father. He gave her a grim look that was mostly unreadable.

"I will have extra guards stationed on the grounds beneath your windows and in these halls. Terwyn will be here soon. Do not leave your rooms today," he instructed. She nodded and he left with Jurin and the seer― their heads bent low as they conversed out of earshot leaving the princess with a few guards until Terwyn arrived.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**

*~*~*~*~*~*

Bodach - The Irish equivalent to the 'bogeyman'