Chapter Sixteen

Elsine was sure her luck would run out before she got back to her room. Surely Terwyn would be there waiting for her and ready to give her a piece of her mind. But she made it back to her room just minutes before the lady's maid knocked on her door. Elsine had made quick work of dusting off her skirts and sat down to act like she had been reading, though her chest was rising deeply from scurrying back so quickly.

Terwyn entered the room and clasped her hands in front of herself. Her dark eyes flicked over Elsine and narrowed the slightest bit, "Princess it is time for your outing. The King sends his apologies, he cannot escort you this evening so I will be walking you to the courtyard."

Elsine's eyes blinked rapidly. Her father wasn't escorting her. Had he found out about her trips to see Darius? Or Kannon's blatant disregard for the rules in which she had been an accomplice. Her heart raced in her chest, standing to her feet and doing her best to appear unfazed.

"I am sure he has important matters to attend to," She replied and walked to Terwyn's side.

She dipped her chin but didn't comment as she moved out of the room and started to lead Elsine down the hall opposite where the princess had been earlier. So, it was the back courtyard that would serve today's outing, she surmised. Elsine was pleasantly surprised, liking the smaller gardens her mother had designed much more than the grand maze of gardens that she and Ander had strolled. It was beautiful too, but the back courtyard held a special place in her heart. It felt sometimes that her mother was alive in the flowers and the trees, staying nearby. 

The halls were quiet, not many of the staff seemed to be around and Elsine figured that they were all attending to the front of the castle to get ready for the following week when there would be more formal dinners to attend between outings. And then they would be preparing for the Summer Solstice Ball at the end of the month. It seemed preparations never stopped.

Terwyn stopped at the double doors that led out to the gardens and the princess realized that she had not asked who she was meeting today. Turning to the lady's maid Elsine fidgeted with some of the lace on her sleeve.

"Terwyn, do you know who I am meeting this evening?"

Elsine watched as Terwyn seemed to struggle with herself. Huffing she opened the door, "If I do, I am not allowed to speak of them. Whoever it is, will be waiting in the garden, My Lady." With that she left Elsine standing on the stone steps, the chiffon of her dress billowing softly in the wind. She shouldn't have asked. It put her lady's maid in a hard position. The King could tell her if he wanted and no one would question it but if Terwyn gave the princess information, no matter how small, it could result in her banishment. Resolving to apologize later, Elsine stepped gracefully down the stairs and followed the pathway that glittered with smooth sea glass and agates from the shores of the Summer Court's bordering beaches.

Holding her slender hands together at her front, politely, she took her time walking toward the marble gazebo that she knew was hidden in the circle of flowering bushes and swaying trees. Creeping lilies stretched over the edges of the pathway, and flowered vines wrapped the tree branches, falling in rippling velvet pink and rich green leaves like a curtain just over her head. 

She had made up her mind not to even guess this time around, though there was a small part of her that hoped for one over the others. The way his jade eyes had swept over her in that alcove made her skin prickle at the mere memory. But as she came around the corner she was met by the kind, almond eyes of Conor. She smiled, not disappointed at all. She enjoyed his company and he seemed to possess a lot of the desirable traits of a King. For Elsine, though, there was a certain spark missing and she wondered if such things could even matter in her situation. No matter how much she wanted to choose and fall in love, she was beginning to feel like it was the least important aspect of the entire Summer Court. She tried not to let that dampen her spirit.

"How lovely to see you, Elsine," He said, his long torso stooping in a gentle bow.

She curtsied and hooked her arm through his, feeling relaxed. "It is good to see you too, Conor. How are you feeling after our dinner party?"

He stood like a soldier, one arm at his side while the other was hooked by Elsine's, his palm flat against his chest as he walked them in a slow circle. He laughed lightly, "I am well, thank you. I knew my limits and had a good night's rest. I think Ander had one too many glasses, however. He was still sleeping when I left."

"Poor Ander." Elsine smiled, genuinely concerned about if he was alright. The King's faerie wine and sparkling cider were a lot stronger than any mead you could get in a pub. Elsine didn't even think he allowed it to be sent to the other territories. Looking up at Conor she realized he was very tall, and she smiled thinking about what a pair they made. Realizing they were circling, Elsine pulled his arm in the direction of her favorite bench just near the pond with all kinds of Koi and other fish living in it. As a girl, she had sworn there was a kelpie living among the reeds, but no one had believed her. "Come, let's get to know each other, and maybe you can beat me at skipping rocks on the pond."

He followed without trouble and laughed again, "Alright Elsine, you're on."

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**