Chapter Thirty-Two

Kannon sat back, leaning on his elbows as he turned his face to the warm afternoon sun. "I am going to tell you something, but you must promise you will not tell on me," he drawled.

Elsine tugged at some grass and rolled the blades between her fingers, her eyebrows raising. They had eaten every last bit of the sandwiches, almost polished off the assorted fruit and cheese platter, and there wasn't a drop of wine left. Her head tilted. "What is it that you like to say?" She cleared her throat, mimicking him in a deep voice," 'I will make no such promises.'?"

A deep laugh rolled out of him as he shifted to his side to look at the princess. "So, you have been paying attention. Alright, I guess it is only fair," he sighed as his curls caught in his lashes, "My fate is in your hands, little mouse."

"I shall try to handle it justly," she teased, giggling as the heat of the wine pushed more color into her cheeks.

"You are too kind." Kannon picked up a cube of cheese and inspected it. A smile Elsine thought made him look slightly embarrassed curved his mouth as he admitted, "The food here is superior even to my own mother's cooking. I have never eaten so much in one sitting."

Drawing her hand to her heart she teased him, "Sir, you admit such things to a lady? If I ever meet your mother, I shall tell her all of your secrets and we will laugh at your expense." He just laughed, his jade eyes filling with happy lights. Heat flashed up Elsine's spine again. She didn't know if it was from the wine or the heat his laugh made her feel― probably both. Standing to her feet, the princess felt like she was suffocating in the frilly neckline of her riding shirt and coat. "It is hotter than―" she halted the foul metaphor about to roll off her tongue, fumbling with the buttons on the front. Her sweaty fingers were no help, and she blew out a frustrated puff of air, "It's hotter than it should be."

"You okay over there?"

Finally breaking the buttons of the coat apart Elsine looked at Kannon who was leaning his head on his fist. She thought he looked a little too comfortable watching her. And a little too charming. She lifted her chin, trying to throw him off by teasing. "Yes, thank you. But, as a gentleman one should always offer to help a lady, don't you think?"

His thick brow arched at her goading. He pushed himself up to stand and walked over, smiling from one side of his mouth as he replied, "I do think. Are you permitting me to help you undress, little mouse?"

Elsine's face turned a few shades of red, each darker than the one before as she opened her mouth to protest. Clamping it shut, she thought better of further digging her own grave and resorted to rolling her eyes. But it seemed that he was content to wait for her to regain her voice as he continued to smirk down at her. Taking the coat off she set it on the picnic blanket and fixed him with a warning look.

"I would like to swim."

He rocked back and then forward on his feet. "Ah. That is a fine idea. Would you still like help with those pesky buttons?" He paused as his lashes swept down with his gaze. The princess's tummy somersaulted. His fingers pulled gently at the frilly fabric that ran beside the line of buttons on her bodice.

They were so close, and with each little tug of his fingers, she felt herself being drawn to him. Looking away from his eyes she nodded and fumbled her words, "Please―Thank you." 

He didn't say another word but obliged her as his long fingers undid each with ease. Elsine felt ridiculous for how her heart sped even more with each button undone. She suddenly felt very guilty as her mind drifted to Dare and the way his hands had felt over her shoulders. The sudden urge to scream in frustration or run away made her spine stiffen and her jaw clench.

He stepped away; his head bowed respectfully. The princess peeked over at him as he seemed to sense her unease. She watched for a moment as he busied himself with putting the remainder of their lunch into the saddlebags. Taking the moment of privacy, she took the shirt off and placed it on top of the coat. The breeze immediately cooled her warm skin, sending the small tails of her corset laces spinning. Thankfully she had worn a shift underneath, so the wide straps afforded more coverage over her skin. It made her feel a little more secure. Not waiting for Kannon, she waded into the clear water and reveled in the cold sting with every inch until it reached her waist.

She heard water splashing as Kannon entered. He sucked in a breath and muttered a curse about the temperature of the water. Elsine smiled and turned to look at him with his arms hovering over the water. 

"Runoff from the mountains," she offered with a giggle.

He stopped beside her; his skin riddled with goosebumps. "I was offered a swimming hole, not an ice bath." He dipped his chin, giving the princess a comically stern look as he teased, "I thought we were being honest with each other, Elsine."

"You will warm up." She waved a hand, accidentally sending icy droplets over his bare chest.

He tensed, a funny groan-like sound coming from his throat. His eyes widened as he pointed at her, "You did that on purpose."

She held up her hands, trying not to laugh at him but failed and he started to come for her. Her heart jumped around in her chest as she protested between her giggles, "No―Kannon!―"

But nothing could have deterred him, and before she could get away, one of his arms snaked around her. Elsine's scream was swallowed up as the prince dunked them both under the frigid water.

**Edited Kylie R. Trask 2022**