Chapter Nineteen

"Trust has to be earned, and should come only after the passage of time

"Trust has to be earned, and should come only after the passage of time." - Arthur Ashe

8:48 pm

Automatic glass doors part at the motion of Liam's presence. Warm air blows noisily from air conditioners above and he welcomes the feather-like sensation with open arms. He stands at the entrance for a moment longer, washing away the dropping temperatures of the outdoors and bathing in the relaxing heat.

With a sigh, Liam begins to walk forward.

Light brown, wooden desks are scattered amongst the ground floor, adorned with individuals scanning a variety of open books. Their drooping eyelids and permanent frowns has Liam suspecting that they're university students.

It must be exam season, he concludes, remembering his journey through university years ago.

An elevator made completely out of glass sits in the centre of the floor and Liam quickly makes his way towards it. Floor twelve is where he needs to go. He wondered whether or not he would forget, but the hobby of his childhood ensures that the twelfth floor remains ingrained into his brain for the rest of time.

'What a useless hobby', his mother would remark every time he'd head off to the town library with enough books stacked in his small arms that he'd barely be able to look over them. His upper lip raises, mood quickly souring at the thought of that woman.

Pressing the elevator button, the upwards arrow glows red and a familiar ding calls out before the transparent door slides open. Liam steps inside with a few other awaiting wolves, filling the space of the small compartment like herded sheep.

Liam presses the number 12 and it, along with the other selected floor numbers, also glows a bright red. He briefly analyses the other wolves and notices that most of them look exhausted, barely able to keep their eyes open.

Crossing his arms, Liam looks away and observes the ground floor instead. The desks get smaller and smaller with each passing second, resembling grains of rice when he reaches his selected floor. After the soft ding, the door slides open and Liam steps out, leaving only a sleeping individual behind when the door closes behind him.

A glass wall covers the entire length of a circular balcony. This allows for the sight of floors below and above, revealing many rows of bookcases that are filled to the brim with books. The balcony layout resembles the central training room, but instead of the holes getting larger with each floor, the size remains constant. So, other than the ground floor, each floor has an identical layout with glass walls instead of traditional railings.