Chapter Sixty-Six

"He was a silent fury who no torment could tame

"He was a silent fury who no torment could tame." - Jack London

Screams echo through the still forest, shaking the air as a writhing body is dragged over jagged rocks and fallen leaves. Handless wrists smear warm blood across Valen's forearm, desperate to remove his dagger-like claws from the disfigured face. Crimson glimmers underneath warm sunlight peaking through the canopies, decorating the sword strapped across the General's back in a paint of demise. The scent of fear is pungent, wafting off of the bleeding male in suffocating waves.

Valen throws him into a small clearing spanning a few metres in length. It's spacious enough to allow the General to do as he pleases, and it will be used to its full extent.

A wail bubbles out of the male's chest, petrified and pleading. He tries to crawl away from the clearing, elbows and knees digging into dry soil. Blazing, golden eyes land on the male's back, aura narrowing onto his pathetic body before a sickening crack erupts from his spine.

A cold, haunting whisper leaves Valen's lips whilst the male shrieks in agony. "You wish to escape me?"

Valen's body tries to stifle a powerful tremor, black fur sprouting through patches of scarred skin. A crazed glimmer appears within his glacial, wide eyes, canines lengthening. Veins spread underneath his gaze. "After you tried to mark her?"

"Please!" the male cries, head turning back to face the volatile General. "I don't—" His words fall short, one working eye widening as his breath becomes lodged in his throat.

Growing in height, Valen's bones snap and shift underneath his skin whilst black fur covers his entire shifting form. A dangerous, clawed hand grabs onto a tree, head transforming into one resembling a large wolf. Deep, powerful breaths heave out of his chest whilst large muscles wrap around his torso and limbs. Tree bark crumbles underneath his crushing grip, clothes tearing and falling to the forest floor in a scattered pile of black remains. A feral, rumbling sound forms within his chest, resembling snarled words. Canines shine with every curl of his animalistic mouth, lethal eyes meeting horrified blue ones.

"She's. Mine."

The male's scream travels into the mainland, stunning wide-eyed wolves to a halt. The ground cracks when Valen swoops down and slices through the male's abdomen, hand gouging out organs that splatter onto nearby trees. Blood sprays out of the gaping cavity, fragments of bone swimming amongst severed flesh. Arms are torn off of sockets, thrown against reddened trees whilst claws continue to tear the wolf's flesh apart.

Mine.

Fingers wrap around ribs to lift his convulsing body off of soaked soil. Silent gasps shake the male's drooping head whilst remnants of intestines dangle beside paralysed thighs, lower legs removed. Blood pours at Valen's feet, mind revelling at the metallic scent.